Living last Saturday felt like living in a whirlwind. So many things, everyone going in different directions. Late afternoon Brandon was dressed in his tux, running out the door to a choir concert (from which he would go directly to pick up his date for Winter Formal). Just before he left I ran down the stairs to give him something and. . . . OOOOPS . . . tripped on a forgotten vacuum attachment. I've fallen partway down the stairs before, but this was really a particularly impressive fall. I launched several feet into the air, slammed down hard on the stairs, and then bounced the rest of the way down. Brandon heard me scream and rushed back. As soon as I determined nothing was seriously broken I waved him off, so he wouldn't be late. Only Joseph and I were home, so he sat by me while I moaned and decided whether or not I could move anytime soon.
In the days since my not-so-graceful fall I have gained a new appreciation for the mechanics of walking. I am usually a fast walker. I have long Springer legs, and I like to stretch them, sometimes leaving my walking companions in the dust. My pace has slowed to a bow-legged shuffle. Even Joseph can beat me now in a foot race!
Last year this time we were stranded at home with record snowfall, necessitating a slower pace and focus on the simple things. I think the message is the same for me this year. Slow down, relax, enjoy, simplify, put the vacuum away when you are done with it . . .
2 comments:
Oh NO! It's hard to imagine you slowing down, because I know how much you hate it! I hope that you start feeling better.
I'm sorry you are hurt, but that sure was funny to read! Totally something I would do . . .
Post a Comment