Monday, January 11, 2010

I am addicted to Potter

That's Potter, not Porter. I just finished the 7th and last book in the Harry Potter series. When I turned the last page last night, I must say that I was sad. I really enjoyed my time in Hogwarts and the wizarding world.

I am a latecomer to the world of Harry Potter. When the books came out a decade or so ago, Brandon was old enough to enjoy hearing them read aloud at bedtime. Dan and I took turns reading to him each night. So, I heard about every other chapter. Maybe that is why it didn't pull me in. Maybe also because we had a new baby (Aubrey), and my attention was needed elsewhere.

I also have never been a huge fan of the fantasy/sci-fi genre, with a few exceptions. I read a lot, but in the past have generally steered clear of anything too fantastical.

I like to read what my kids are reading, so over the years I have read many books along with them, including plenty of fantasy. I found that there were some fantasy/sci-fi series that I really liked (Fablehaven, Lightning Thief, etc.) I don't know why I didn't join in when they eagerly consumed the Harry Potter books. Maybe I felt like that train had passed me by, and there was too much to catch up on.

I was always kind of embarrassed to admit that I hadn't really sampled Potter yet. I mean, I read "kid" books all the time and I READ all the time. And everyone said they were great, but . . . When the seventh book came out, I even took the kids to a party at Barnes & Noble at midnight to pick up a copy. I didn't dare tell anyone there that I hadn't read books 1-6, or my safety could have been jeopardized.

This last summer I finished the last book in the Percy Jackson (Lightning Thief) series, and quite enjoyed it. It occurred to me that this type of fantasy book was really kind of an imitation of the magical world of the Harry Potter series. The time had come. I had to see what all the hype was about.

I read books 1-4 in the summer and then picked them up again this last month to read books 5-7. I really loved them all! The hype is justified. The writing is fast-paced, the characters interesting and believable, and the surprises fun. I am so sad that, when I tuck into bed tonight to read, Harry will not be facing any more perils and dangers.

No comments: