Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Walking in Sunshine

I have a love/hate relationship with my treadmill.  Mostly hate. I am a walker and I can walk forever outside (and fast, too, with my Springer legs), but after a few minutes on the treadmill I find myself bored, sweating, and counting the seconds until I stop.

So it's especially wonderful that there have been many nice autumn days the last few months so I can walk outside instead. I am enjoying this respite before the rain sets in. I told myself that every day it's not raining I will go for a walk around the neighborhood before picking up Joseph at the school bus stop. So far I have followed this plan (except for the one day when I totally forgot to pick up Joseph . . . but that's a story of negligence for another day).

It feeds my soul to walk through the crisp fall air for a few minutes. I breathe deeply and have conversations with myself, sometimes out loud (sorry neighbors). I think about my struggles and things I am grateful for, and sometimes I cry. Sometimes I pray and sometimes I zone out to music and think about nothing.

Today is an especially fabulous fall day. The sky is bright blue, which contrasts nicely with the orange, red, and yellow leaves. The high temperature is breaking records. It is one day of stolen summer on the precipice of winter. After Joseph and I walked home we played soccer on the front lawn. We crunched through leaves, dribbling the ball while he bossed me around ("I'm the coach. So do what I say.  Run fast.  No, faster. Be more 'gressive.") When we stopped playing, I sat on the front steps and closed my eyes, savoring the feeling of the sunshine on my face. Wow, it feels amazing.

I love sunshine. All that Vitamin D is so therapeutic. And I love this day.

1 comment:

fishingfam said...

Tiffany: So miss my walking partner. Haven't found one as fun to talk with, share thoughts with or figure out how to solve life problems(at least in a perfect world) with since. Well ok I had one friend, but she moved also. I really miss all the discussions we shared and always feeling up lifted after each walk. Thanks for being such a fun walking partner! It sounds like you guys are doing well and enjoying life! Can't believe your old enough to have a college student!
By the way will you share your tomatillo salsa recipe. WE have fallen in love with those little devils. Infact we tried to grow two plants this year and unfortunately it didn't survive with our two year old around. Never fear there is always next year!(plus it helps to have a game plan to protect them better.) But we would love to try you delicious recipe!