We've been . . .
Painting Aubrey's new room (here are some pictures during the process - "after" pictures are coming soon)
with a really cute painting helper.
Teaching Bailey how to drive now that she has her permit and it taking Drivers Ed three days a week. Dan is a better driving teacher than I am (he is unflappable), but he has been out of town a lot the last few weeks.
And Bailey, Joseph, and I spent three agonizing hours at the DOL waiting to get her driver's permit. Not the highlight of our summer so far.
Joseph and I spent fun couple of hours one afternoon playing with our microscope. We walked around outside until we found some specimens to investigate. Then we zoomed in close to check them out under the microscope. Science is awesome!
Finishing our school shopping so we can concentrate on getting ready for vacation. Joseph has been pretty patient with the painful process of taking all three kids shopping. For that matter, I have been pretty patient with the painful process of taking all three kids shopping. In the picture below we stopped for some nourishment at the Ikea food court while looking for accessories for Aubrey's room. (And that could be a post in and of itself. Ikea is enormous. We wandered through the labyrinth for what seemed like hours. Bailey was whimpering, "I have a feeling that I am never getting out of here - ever." I felt the same way.)

Visiting the science museum OMSI a lot. I never get tired of it, and we always find something new to explore. Here Joseph and a buddy try out air rockets, a static electricity ball,
and they formed a circuit and powered a lightbulb as voltage ran through them. The voltage caused interesting muscle twitches which Joseph said tickled because the electrical impulses they were getting through the wires are similar to the electrical impulses our brain sends to get our muscles to move.
All three kids forming a circuit on another trip to OMSI:
Budding chemists Aubrey and Joseph (and two friends) in the chemistry lab and Joseph the aspiring astronaut.
We tried to go to OMSI about every week all summer, and we usually took another family with us on our pass. It was great to immerse ourselves in science!
Spending time in the water - our friends invited us to join them for water activities several times. On this day, mid-August, we rode waverunners on the Columbia River.
Our kids are all super brave about anything involving water. I am a wimp about anything involving water. I will go on the scariest amusement park ride and love it, but I really dislike flying through the water on a waverunner. I am always terrified of falling into the (freezing cold) water. Joseph loved being pulled on a tube behind the waverunner at breakneck speeds. I was sure that he would be flipped off into the Columbia River at any moment.
Dan took Bailey and Aubrey on a number of rides.
And Bailey did a great job driving also.
I, for one, felt much better when everyone was safely on the shore.
And maybe my fear was justified? See those blue and red specks way out in the water, right next to a huge barge going by on the river? The specks are my family on waverunners. And just before the barge reached them, Aubrey was thrown off into the water (her second time of the day). Yikes!
Jumping on the trampoline with a sprinkler spraying underneath while eating a popsicle with a buddy. One of the truly joyful moments of summer.
Wrestling on the floor with Dad.
Introducing friends to Bubble Snakes. And sharing a barbeque with them, too.
Marching in a parade in support of a friend running for office. Dan got to drive the convertible, Joseph and I handed out candy, and Bailey danced with some friends behind the car to "More" by Usher.
That's it for now. Must get something done . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment