The lights are low, the spooky music is playing, and all the Porter children have willingly agreed to partake in this year's Halloween dinner, where all the food is creepy, disgusting, and downright frightening.
This was the menu for this year:
Vampire
Feast Witch’s nose
Scab
remover Scab Slab
Zombie
intestines Bones and
Blood
Vampire
heart lacerator Zombie eyeballs
Ghoul
Drool Crunchy cicadas
Entrails of Frankenstein Monster jaws
Haunted
spirits Macerated Metatarsal
Flying
saucer
Otherworldly apparition
The owners of the Disgusting Dinner restaurant created a new rule for 2012. All dining patrons were required to decide together which menu item they would like to order first, as a group. And then second, and third, and so on until they had received all the creepy food. This tweak to the rules increased the surprise factor when each new dish was presented.
Dan and I prepared the plates and then Dan delivered the food in the most spooky, creepy, and frightening way possible. Who knew that Dan was such a great actor? Can you see him off to the left of this picture?
Dan and I looked through cookbooks and ideas on Bailey's Pinterest boards for some new "spooky" foods. Dan found this idea (and he put it together).
The strawberries are supposed to have white chocolate tails that make them into ghosts. I didn't quite manage that, and I have to say that the version on Pinterest looked cuter than mine, but oh well!
And, courtesy of Martha Stewart online, mashed potato ghosts.
This is one of Dan's favorite ideas . . . Ghoul Drool - made of lime sherbet blended with Sprite. He created this one all on his own, and it was a hit. Joseph wasn't so sure at first, and had to give it the sniff test
but soon realized that it was delish, and Ghoul Drool was very much in demand.
Another of Dan's ideas and creations: flying saucers made out of peanut butter and bananas.
Dan was exceedingly helpful with the dinner this year - I couldn't have pulled it off without him! The morning after our Halloween dinner I was hosting a luncheon at our house for 8+ women. The morning of the luncheon I was only going to be home for a short time, as I needed to run Bailey to the orthodontist to get her braces off! So, on Monday I prepared food for our Halloween dinner but also prepared as much as possible for the luncheon. When Dan came home we used teamwork to pull it all together. It was a really good time - these kinds of family memories are more valuable than any material possession!
No comments:
Post a Comment