Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Porter Theme 2015

It took us awhile to decide on a scripture for our 2015 theme.  

This year we are going to focus on Philippians 4:13:


"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."  

I hope that this year we can study what this scripture teaches us about our own abilities and the absolute necessity of learning to draw on the enabling and strengthening powers of the Savior's Atonement. I think the key word is through.  It is through Christ's power that our abilities are magnified and we are strengthened. To me, this is powerful and empoweringing.  We can do all things. We can overcome all challenges. But only when we are strengthened through Christ's power, which is absolutely available to each of us.  

During the FHE in which we chose this scripture, I felt impressed to talk with the family about the words of the hymn "Where Can I Turn For Peace."  


Where can I turn for peace?
Where is my solace
When other sources cease to make me whole?
When with a wounded heart, anger, or malice,
I draw myself apart,
Searching my soul?

Where, when my aching grows,
Where, when I languish,
Where, in my need to know, where can I run?
Where is the quiet hand to calm my anguish?
Who, who can understand?
He, only One.

He answers privately,
Reaches my reaching
In my Gesthemene, Savior and Friend.
Gentle the peace he finds for my beseeching.
Constant he is and kind,
Love without end.

I printed out the lyrics and we studied them as a family, looking for phrases which resonated with us.  (I wish I could say that this was an amazingly uplifting experience for every family member, but it wasn't. I do hope that some of the discussion penetrated the maelstrom of feelings in the room that night.)

I see so many phrases and words in this hymn which are powerful to me. I have a hard time reading it without getting emotional.  Just a few:


quiet hand to calm my anguish
reaches my reaching
gentle the peace he finds for my beseeching
Constant he is
He, only one

I thought it was interesting to read a little bit about the life of the author Emma Lou Thayne and some of the trials which preceded the writing of this poem. She dealt with significant family struggles and worries for her children which were tearing her apart.  After this poem was turned into a hymn, and shortly before it was to be published in the LDS hymnbook, she was in a terrible car accident.  A crowbar flew off a truck and came through her windshield, almost killing her and severely damaging her eye and face.  For 7 months she was in great pain and couldn't lift her head or read.  She said in her re-telling of this experience that this experience caused her to "reach" as she never had before and to learn better what it means to rely on the Savior.

I appreciate the fact that Emma Lou Thayne's poem states beautifully what my Spirit feels.

Most of all, I appreciate my Savior and I want to do a better job of using his ever-offered power to bear my burdens and strengthen my weaknesses.

No comments: