I don't have a lot of hope that I will ever catch up on the blog. During the busy school months I told myself that I would have time to catch up during the summer. So far the summer has had a lot of extremely busy days and very few relaxing catch up days. I'm actually looking forward to school because I have this erroneous belief that I'll have time to catch up on life then!
A few days after Bailey's graduation school ended for the other kids and we took off for Utah to take Bailey to college and Aubrey to EFY. We spent a week in Utah and then returned home. Aubrey did a week long tap camp in Vancouver and then flew back to Utah for a week of BYU Young Ambassador camp. A few days after she flew home, Aubrey went on an intense overnight backpacking trip with the 4th year girls in the stake (she totally rocked it!). Then I met up with her at Girls Camp, where we spent a week. Like always, I thoroughly enjoyed being with the girls and women. Like always, the physical conditions tested me somewhat, but being in nature was heavenly. And the overall experience was totally worth it. Last week I helped at Cub Scout Camp, which was exhausting and really fun to be with my favorite 10-year-old and his buddies.
In two days Dan, Aubrey, and I leave on our stake's Pioneer Trek. By the time it ends I will have spent a record number (for me) days this summer sleeping outside in a sleeping bag, cooking in the great outdoors, and using a porta potty. I'm generally a fan of cooking in a real kitchen, sleeping in a real bed, and using clean flushable toilets. Because Dan and I are a "Ma and Pa" we have spent weeks in preparation for trek and collecting the long list of camping and other items needed for our "family." Our entire house is filled with piles of camping gear. Gathering the pioneer clothing has been more time consuming and frustrating than it should have been.
Aubrey is anxious about the trek experience, and so am I, to be truthful. This is a big unknown, and it's going to be hot and tiring. But I have been telling Aubrey that I am handling this anxiety by focusing on the good things I know will come from it. I like the feeling of doing hard things which push my comfort zone. I look forward to getting to know the youth in our "family." And I know this is a once in a lifetime experience I will never forget, so I'm going to enjoy the adventure.
Here's hoping we survive!
No comments:
Post a Comment