Friday, October 27, 2017

Light and other random stuff

Light
In the past few years I have become very aware of the power of light in my life. I don't remember thinking much about light when we lived in Utah, and definitely not when we lived in Arizona. But when we moved to Washington 11 years ago I noticed very quickly that winter = very little light. And that was really hard. So I immediately painted all the walls sunny colors (the same walls that I'm currently re-painting!) and I would turn on almost every light in the house during the day to give the illusion of some light. That helped. But a few years ago I started to notice that I was craving light even more, and I felt really sluggish and even down when the grey days stretched into weeks or months. I bought a light box, and that definitely helps. I take high doses of Vitamin D in the winter, and that helps. And whenever there is any light, I sit in it.
That's what I have been doing lately. We have had only one bad week of rain so far this fall, and this week we are back to enjoying beautiful crisp, sunny fall weather. So several times a day I stop whatever I am doing and find the sun. In the afternoons I often sit outside with one of the kids and read a book on the porch, with the sunshine on our faces. And I discovered a few months ago that at around 11 a.m. on a sunny day, I can sit on the edge of the couch next to the window in the family room and feel the sun streaming through the window. So, if at all possible, I drop everything at 11 a.m. and find that spot on the couch, cuddle up with my book, and feel the sunshine. It's Vitamin D and light therapy, and I'm storing up for the long winter ahead.

Awkward
We Porters are inordinately worried about looking awkward in situations, because uncomfortable and awkward situations trigger the anxiety which tries really hard to control us. For many years Dan and I have heard our kids protest "I can't do that - it's so awkward." And we parents have also sometimes shied away from things because they felt awkward. So this year our Porter theme is:

We Can Do Awkward Things

I posted a sign reminding us of this fact in our front hallway, and I really love the reminder. What do our kids think about it? They think it's super awkward to have a sign that reminds us that we can do awkward things.

Large Print
I put a lot of books on hold. I mean, a lot. My to-read pile from the library is generally at least 15 books high. Often when I am reserving books I'm given the choice of a "large print" book. I usually avoid these and go for the normal print book, as large print books are for old people, right?  But sometimes the large print is the only copy available, so I reserve it.

A few weeks ago I was reading a book in large print and realized that it was so, so nice. I didn't have to be in just the right light with the book held at just the right angle for me to read it. And I didn't need my old lady reading glasses. Amazing! And a little depressing too.

Painting
I'm re-painting pretty much every wall in the house. Last year I re-painted the kitchen and family room a nice "greige" color, and now the rest of the house is getting a similar treatment, which is effectively lightening and updating our house. I really don't enjoy or excel at the process of re-decorating a house, so I tend to stick with the same decor for decades at a time. But re-painting is something that doesn't intimidate me at all. A few days ago I painted most of the entryway and hall upstairs, and I love the "accessible beige" color, which is a light mix of beige and grey. I still need to get the really high parts of the entryway, including the tricky parts over the stairs. I'm waiting for the Sherwin Williams paint to go back on sale next week, and waiting for Dan to help me figure out how to rig a really tall scaffolding so I don't fall off and cause bodily harm. 


Allergy shots for all eternity
I have a long and not very happy history with year-round allergies. They first developed in AZ, after giving birth to Brandon and got much worse a few years after we moved to Utah. Constant sinus infections drove me to find an allergist. He recommended allergy shots, which I did for 3 years before we moved to WA. During the time I was on the shots, I had complete relief from allergies. I didn't have to take ANY medicine, and I was so sure I was cured forever. After moving to one of the most verdant and allergy-filled states in the country, I was OK for a few years until my body became sensitized to all the many allergens in my environment. And then I was sooooo miserable. Once again, I had perpetual sinus infections and was generally feeling lousy most of the time. So, I started allergy shots again in the spring of 2011. And I have been faithfully getting 3 shots every 1-4 weeks for the last 6 1/2 years. I have surpassed the length of time they usually recommend for allergy shots, as most people can stop and find continued relief after 5 years. I still experience allergies and need medication (Zyrtec and corticosteroid nose sprays) all year long. But, the sinus infections have resolved. Almost every possible allergen is in my allergy serum, at the highest possible concentration. A few weeks ago the allergist recommended repeated allergy testing to see if I was showing less of reaction to allergens after such prolonged treatment. Within seconds of the pinpricks all over my back (with a drop of an allergen on each pinprick), my back was one massive red and itchy hive. Basically, I am still allergic to everything. Everything. And what they recommended was another year of allergy shots. And that's all I can say about it today because it's a truly depressing topic!

No comments: