Last week students across our district (and across the country, I hear) walked out of class onto the school grounds for 17 minutes to remember the 17 students lost in the most recent shootings. Both Joseph and Aubrey participated in this, and I was proud of them. We talked about it beforehand, and I felt like they were walking out in support of those who were killed and as a form of nonviolent protest about gun violence. We talked in the morning about Martin Luther King and his system of nonviolent protests. We talked about how change happens when ordinary people decide they aren't OK with the status quo, and they consistently send messages (through words or through actions) to their elected representatives about what needs to happen. There is a huge political mudpit that I could get stuck in here, but I will just say that I do not think that reasonable limits and boundaries on weapons and permits and bans on assault weapons in any way endangers the Constitution.
This Saturday Aubrey (and maybe more of the family) will be participating in a protest walk in downtown Vancouver, "March for Our Lives." The march has been organized by students at Aubrey's school, and similar marches will be taking place across the country.
This is the email sent from the school district after the walkouts. I thought it would be interesting to keep a record of it, as I believe that our kids are a part of history in the making.
Dear parents and guardians,
As you know, many VPS students today joined other young people across the country in conducting student-led, supervised walkouts to protest school violence. Others participated in student-led activities that included honoring the victims of the Parkland shooting and writing letters to legislators. We want to thank our students, their families and our staff members for their safe, respectful participation in this learning experience. Today our students made us very proud for expressing themselves in positive and constructive ways, consistent with district policy and procedures.
We will continue to be committed to ensuring that all students feel safe and respected at their schools. If you have any questions or concerns about today’s activities, please contact your child’s school.
Sincerely,
Superintendent Steve Webb
No comments:
Post a Comment