Monday, August 31, 2009

Wiggle on, Dan!

I am really hoping today to obtain a picture to illustrate this post. Dan completed his Portland to Coast team walk on Saturday. It went well, other than the inevitable loss of a night's sleep. What I thought was really funny was how Dan's competitiveness overcame his concern about swinging his arms and hips. As each team member walked a leg of about 6 - 7 miles, those in the van calculated the speed of each team member - how fast they were walking a mile. He was determined to beat the fastest mile time in his group, so when it was his turn he (in his own words) "wiggled anything I could wiggle to make me go faster." He said he experimented with various wiggles and methods of swinging or hunching or stretching, hoping to increase his speed. Apparently someone in the group got pictures, which I am dying to see!

In other news, I got a fascinating look at how the youth today dance when I chaperoned and provided refreshments for a multi-stake dance Saturday night. I haven't been at a youth dance since I was a youth. What I saw was this: youth today do not understand how to fast dance. I think that those of us who were teens in the 80s were great fast dancers, at least in our own minds. At least we moved a little . . . we showed some personality and "felt" the music. I think this is fascinating - the teens stood in big circles and kind of bounced up and down while a fast dance played. That's it. We, the leaders, were dying to show them how to REALLY dance, but our children at the dance would have sunk through the floor in embarrassment. So, we just watched.

I had a nice birthday yesterday. As my sisters have been kind enough to point out to me, I am getting old. As in almost 40. I remember my parents turning 40, and they seemed a lot older to me than I think I am. Hmmmmmmm. Somehow I think my own children don't view me as young as I feel! Anyway, after church we had a nice "Cafe Rio" Mexican meal with Haagen-Daaz ice cream for dessert. No cake because everyone else was too busy this weekend to make one and I was not going to make it for myself. My friend Rachel came over for dinner and games. It was a great night!

1 comment:

Shellee said...

I totally want to see pics of Dan's "Wiggle"! That sounds so funny!

Happy Birthday Tiffany, I'm glad you got to have Cafe Rio, it's the best! You know, if I were there, I would have made you a huge cake. Chocolate of course. Bailey could have helped decorate it!

I tell Curt he's getting old too, he'll be 39 also. I'm in the process of planning a surprise party with a bunch of friends to go play laser-tag to prove we are still young. Heehee!