Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Autumn Cleaning

I have never been into spring cleaning. During spring I want to be outside, reveling in the newness of everything and playing in the dirt. And, the kid's activities are usually at their highest peak during the spring, so organizational and big cleaning projects just don't happen. I have great intentions to accomplish projects during the summer, when the kids and I have many lazy hours to work together. That doesn't really happen. During summer we keep the house at a manageable level, but bigger projects take a back seat to fun things.

There is something about autumn that gives me the itch to clear out, throw out, organize, reduce, simplify. The kids get back into a schedule, which means that the day is more predictable. Within the first few days of school I start prowling the house, getting rid of things and trying to create order. I ruthlessly attack my flower gardens, which are bursting with probably too many plants and flowers by the end of summer because I am really awful at being disciplined about pruning. I cut down, pull up, and cut back the same plants that I have carefully tended for months. It feels liberating! What I am hoping remains in both home and garden is simplicity. It is so hard to find simplicity in a busy family with kids. That's what I really want. I want us to only hold on to things we really love. I want life to be as simple and uncluttered as possible.

2 comments:

Jenny Knudsen said...

I am sorry but that is not a true Porter Trait so you are going to have to stop that! :) Jk I am doing the same thing and took a truck load to DI. It feels great. Now I just have to keep going.

Grandpa Alan said...

Ruthlessly throwing things out is good. Keep in mind that whatever doesn't get done this year can happen when Joseph leaves for his mission.