Monday, November 2, 2009

Haunting the neighborhood

We were SO lucky to have a dry Halloween night. The weather was perfect - cool but not cold. On Halloween, our neighborhood is a magnet for everyone in Vancouver, it seems. Parked cars line the streets at each entrance to the neighborhood and there are swarms of people on the street. Neighbors across the street spend the month prior to Halloween turning their garage into a haunted house which attracts many hundreds of people. This means that we have to buy a LOT of candy (we give out 350-500 pieces, depending on the year), but it's very festive and fun. Three of our friends and their kids joined us. The guys watched a show at home and answered the door and the moms walked around with the kids.
Joseph couldn't find his Batman mask/cape, but quickly got over his disappointment when he realized that he was going to get lots and lots of candy. We did have a tantrum over whether or not he would wear a coat over his costume (I won). He happily trekked through the neighborhood with us for about an hour, and then he told me "I don't want any more candy. I want to go home." I ran him back and then met up again with our group.
This is typical Joseph.
Our lovely medieval princess.
Bailey was an "80s hip-hop dancer." I told her that if she really wanted to be "80s", she needed to curl and rat her bangs. I offered my services in creating this hairstyle (which I knew very well). She declined. Technically, Bailey is past our family's cut-off age for trick-or-treating. We made an exception because her good friend (who is on the autistic spectrum and seems much younger than her age) was planning to join us for trick-or-treating.

1 comment:

Grandpa Alan said...

Wonderfulcostumes! I would love to be on your street during the festivities. Pretty boring on our street on Halloween.