Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Joseph is 6!

Early in March Joseph celebrated his 6th birthday.  Below, this is what he looked like before we awakened him with breakfast in bed and a few gifts.  His requested breakfast: cinnamon streusel muffins, bacon, and strawberries.
He was super duper excited to receive his big birthday gift - his very own Nintendo DS. He had used Brandon's old DS until the screen broke a few months ago.


After opening gifts and finishing breakfast Joseph left to kindergarten, where he was the special birthday celebrity and where he shared yummy brownie bites with his class. After school I picked up him and his friend Alex and we bought lunch at Burger King. (Nuggets, fries, and a soda. The soda was a special birthday treat - we rarely get the kids soda at restaurants - so he felt extra lucky!)  Joseph and Alex played the rest of the afternoon, stopping in the afternoon to enjoy a special birthday Push-Pop treat.
When everyone gathered at home we ate dinner.  What Joseph wanted for dinner was for me to not bug him about eating "3 healthy things from my list of foods."  So, I didn't.  I can't remember what he chose to eat, but I doubt it was a very balanced diet.  But, that's what birthdays are for!

After dinner Joseph opened a few more gifts, including a new helmet, bat, and balls for tball.  Other gifts he received include a Build a Bear from Grandma and Grandpa Springer and a fuzzy blanket from Grandma and Grandpa Palmer.
 The next day we hosted a Spiderman Birthday party for four active little six year olds.
Dan, who is a master party planner, helped plan games for the party. He set up rotations of activities for the kids . . . beanbag toss, bowling, ring toss, soccer kick, water gun target practice, etc. He bought Spiderman and Star Wars figurines for the kids to earn as prizes for doing all the stations.  It was a great idea, and they kind of liked all the activities, but they wanted to pretty much do their own thing, not follow the plan we had set forth.  After all, Joseph's best little buddies are used to having the run of the house when they play at our home several times a week. So, after making everyone do all the activities at least once, Dan gave in and just gave them the prizes. And then they were off to run around the house and create an imaginary Star Wars/Spiderman universe in which they beat every possible bad guy. Dan and I just watched them run while we munched on leftover pizza and chocolate cake.


Joseph's friends were so excited to have him unwrap their gifts - all Superhero toys, of course! 
Here the boys (Chase, Alex, Joseph, and Gabe) hold their new figurines, which they call their "guys." 



Joseph, in honor of your 6th birthday, here are 6 things I love about you:

1.  Your infectious smile.  I mean, really, how could I ever stay upset at you when you flash that smile at me?  Because of that, you probably get out of the half of the punishments you have earned!

2.  Your enthusiasm.  Everything you do is done with gusto. Playing soccer, running around with friends, going to kindergarten, learning to read, playing your favorite video games . . . you don't do anything halfway, and you generally have fun at whatever you do.

3.  Your hugs and kisses.  I am so glad that you are at home with me half the day and that you love to hug and kiss me and be cuddled.  I hope you know that you will always be my baby and you are never allowed to be too cool for your mom.  I mean it. 

4.  Your imagination.  I love the imaginary worlds you create.  I love the tents you make out of random household objects and blankets.  I love that you ask me if you can sleep all night in the small, claustrophobic tent you have created.  I love that you really believe that you will be able to do this. I love that you change your mind and run up to be tucked into bed by your Mom.

5.  Your love of learning.  I will never get over how much fun it is to see a child learn to read.  It is like seeing a whole new world open up you. I love your love of learning. I love that you want us to read lots of books to you every night. I even love that you won't let us get out of reading to you even if we are incredibly exhausted. I love that you grab the book halfway through and start reading it out loud yourself. Reading is awesome.

6.  You willingness to keep trying to do things that are hard.  You stick with us as we push you to reach a little more outside of your comfort zone. You will be a better person for having learned to do this.

I love you, Joseph!

No comments: