Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Star of the Week

What could be cooler when you are 1st grade than the designation of "Star of the Week??"  The perks of this honor include: getting to choose the story at storytime, getting to "cut in line," wearing a special "star" sticker, and time every day to sit in the special "star of the week" rocking chair and share something special from home. Joseph agonized each evening over what he should bring to class to share. (The rest of us were relieved when the the week was over because the stress of choosing the perfect sharing object was just too intense!)  This is what he chose to share: a lego helicopter he built himself, a picture he drew of a Star Wars character, trading pins from Disney World, and a few assorted toys which were awesome enough to show the class.
 Joseph and his good friend Alex in front of his "Read All About Me" poster.
We just got his school pictures back. They were taken the first day of his "star" week. Apparently Joseph would not take off the special star of the week sticker for the picture, so it is forever immortalized on his shirt in his 1st grade picture.  At first I was slightly upset, thinking this ruined the picture, but then I wised up and realized that it makes the school picture even more authentic and . . . . better. 
These are the things he wrote on his star of the week poster:

When I grow up I would like to be: a policeman.
I show others I care by: sharing with others.
I am a star because I like clining (sp) the floor.
I like to play outside, I like soccer, I like to ride rollercoasters

These are a few of my favorite things:
Color: red
Animal: tiger
Food: pizza
Book: The Magic School Bus
Sport: basketball
Thing to do in school: recess
Thing to do at home: play with legos

No comments: