Over the past 11 days I've had some time to think about healing. Here are a few of my thoughts:
- First of all, I marvel at the regenerative abilities of the body. The body is an amazing and beautiful thing. It is remarkable that new cells can be produced, bones can knit back together, viral and bacterial invaders can be defeated by the immune system. I'm in awe.
- But I'm also impatient. Because healing takes time, and I don't like to wait. I like to be active, involved, hands-on. I like to do projects myself - not tell other people what needs to be done. I haven't enjoyed doing chores and activities one-handed.
- Before this little accident I was on a roll with exercise. I had attended an exercise class at the gym five days a week since school started. Now, I'm not supposed to pick up a hand weight or other equipment or touch the floor or anything else with my hand until it is much better healed. I'm not supposed to wave my hands around or clap my hands or anything like that (so there goes my favorite Zumba class for awhile.) My exercise rhythm has been disrupted, so instead of getting in exercise at the gym I am at home eating Halloween candy. Not a good trade.
- It is interesting to see how quickly we can adapt to weaknesses. I can't use two of the fingers on my left hand and can't get the hand wet or dirty, but the other fingers of that hand and my right hand have gotten stronger and more dexterous, and I can do most everything (even type - which is quite a feat!) But, everything takes about three times as long. And sometimes that makes me grumpy.
- Isn't it true that you never appreciate being well until you are sick? Every time I have a cold and struggle to breathe normally I'm amazed that I normally don't even think about breathing. It isn't until I have the stomach flu that I realize how my digestive system normally works just fine without my attention or consideration. It isn't until something isn't working right that I appreciate the fact that normally everything works great. I guess that's the meaning of the scripture which says that there must be "opposition in all things". Without the sickness, we'll never appreciate health. Without adversity, we'll never appreciate peace.
- I've also thought a lot about the physical challenges endured by many people I know. Their challenges are much more daunting than temporarily lame fingers, and I applaud them for overcoming the obstacles and functioning every day.
- I really am grateful for health. I'm grateful to have a body that serves me well most of the time. I've really enjoyed exercising over the past few months, and it feels good to stretch and push my body and feel the strength and capacity in my body. I am grateful for my sore hand, because it reminds me to appreciate health and strength. And it reminds me to be very careful around power hedgers.
1 comment:
I, too, am amazed by our bodies. I'm grateful for a Heavenly Father that gave us these wonderful tools!
I've been amazed at how adaptable we all are! I've been watching my little one figure out her body and which parts work and which ones don't. She's awesome to watch and since she's learned to army crawl and shake her bum, the world is a different place.
I'm grateful that your hand is healing. I hope that you heal completely without any residual effects.
I've never really told anyone, other than Drs, about my middle finger on my right hand; I have nerve damage in
the top half and have had to live with this for years. It's left over from trapping my finger in the van door at the Post Office.
Post a Comment