The day started with love notes from Dan/Dad for everyone and special goodies for all:
Is there anything cuter than a 1st grade classroom party? Seriously, so cute. I wish I could freeze Joseph at this age forever. I helped with the classroom Valentines party and snapped a few shots of Joseph opening his valentines and playing games.
And then, the perfect end to our day celebrating love . . . we drove to Portland to attend Broadway's Beauty and the Beast. We got dinner at the Quizno's across the street from Keller Auditorium and then enjoyed a fantastic performance. It was especially fun to watch the Broadway version because our very own Aubrey is debuting as Belle in the upcoming community performance of Beauty and the Beast! (Look closely below and you can see Dan in the reflection, taking our picture with my phone).
Finally, I want to document my own love letter to my sweetie. It's good for my kids to read mushy things that I write about their Dad. So, I am going to require them each to read the sentences below . . .
I feel so lucky to have married the most wonderful man in the world. Here are just a few things I love about Dan:
- He is the most unselfish and family-centered man I know. Everything he does is for his family. I'm pretty sure he literally wakes up every morning and thinks about what he can do today to make me and the kids happy and comfortable.
- He has always, always supported me in anything I want to do or anything I feel is important.
- From the earliest days of our marriage he has always said, "what would you like me to make for dinner?" Now, it would help if his repertoire expanded a little (one cannot live by bean burritos alone), but I appreciate the thought.
- He is insanely smart and good at math. This is good for many reasons, including the fact that our kids have inherited from him their math smarts. And they can ask him for help when they are stuck on math homework. (They don't even bother asking me!)
- He is the only accountant I know who is not only good at all the math-related stuff, but also has great people skills and a killer sense of humor. Let's face it - my natural tendency is to be too uptight and driven. Dan has always been the perfect counter-balance for me, in that he has helped me learn to relax and have fun. "Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured" - that is Dan's motto and now a motto for our family. Because of Dan's example, each of our kids is also witty and has a fabulous sense of humor.
- Over our 23 years of marriage he has also taught me that, although frugality is very important, it's okay to spend a little sometimes to make life easier or to have some fun (my natural tendency is to spend nothing, save everything, and deny myself of anything that costs money).
- He must be the only Dad around who is so up-to-date on the latest fun, enjoyable music. He also loves many other types of music, including Broadway musicals. Because of this, our kids have learned to really enjoy all kinds of music and also are great arbiters of appropriate music themselves.
- He is patient with me and always working together with me to improve our relationship.
- He is willing to travel to exotic places around the world with me someday, even though he would really rather be home than traveling. He even bought me a book for my last birthday, 501 Must-
See-Destinations, and we are circling the places we want to visit. - His desire is always to do whatever the Lord would have Him do. He happily serves wherever he is called.
No comments:
Post a Comment