Monday, March 12, 2012

Remembering MLK . . . . . and living in Harry Potter land

Joseph has really been impressed by stories about Martin Luther King, Jr.  He thinks Martin was a really cool guy who did good stuff (his words). In 1st grade they did a unit last month all about Martin Luther King and the civil rights movement. I loved his sweet observations on how MLK, Jr. helped all people be free, the way that Jesus wants us to be.

These are some things he made in school:
"I have a dream that I can make new friends and play with them because I am very nice."

 I have a dream . . .
  • To be a good friend
  • To be like him
  • That every day is a sunny day
  • To go to college
In other Joseph news, he is obsessed with Harry Potter.  He wants to talk about the intricacies of the world of Hogwarts, muggles, and wizards every day. And into the night, until we tell him to shush. We are reading him the books, and he is mesmerized. Right now we are about a quarter of the way through the second book. When he finishes a book he is allowed to watch the movie.  He already realizes that he has an impending problem . . . pretty soon the movies becomes PG-13 (and the books should probably have a similar warning starting at about book 4), so he won't be able to watch/read them for a few more years. We'll deal with that crisis when we get to it.  This is his latest improvised Harry Potter costume:

And, finally, The-Boy-Who-Wants-To-Eat-Almost-Nothing has a favorite type of muffins - Betty Crocker Cinnamon Streusel .  He would eat them every day if I let him. He is not allowed to have them every day, but we do make them at least once a week. In fact, he has learned to make them himself!  I came downstairs one day and he and a friend had mixed up the muffins and just needed me to bake them. I try to not to think too much about how not-very-healthy these muffins are. They certainly are delicious.

I love the photo bomb in the background, Bailey!

No comments: