Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Mother's Day

I love Mother's Day. I do recognize that Mother's Day can be painful or challenging for many women.  As a young wife, I thought that Mother's Day might be a time when I would struggle with doubts about whether I am measuring up to what I should be as a Mom.

My reality is this: I wonder if I am measuring up as a Mom every day. I am constantly thinking about, praying about, talking to wise people about how to better help each of our uniquely individual children thrive. 

So, somehow on Mother's Day I have managed to temporarily let go of those thoughts and just revel in the positive accolades.  I love the handwritten love letters and crayon drawings from my children. I love the sweet card and flowers from my honey. I love enthusiastic renditions of "Mother Dear, I Love You So" from the Primary children during Sacrament Meeting.  I love having a chance to think about what I appreciate about my own mother. I love coming home from church, changing into my sweats, and letting everyone else make me a fabulous dinner. I love the fact that (for the most part) everyone feels like they need to be extra kind and respectful on Mother's Day.  It's awesome and I deserve it and please tell me more nice things.

This Mother's Day had a few extra fun moments.  Aubrey was asked to give a talk in church (her first talk in Sacrament Meeting).  Her topic was "how to show love and gratitude to our mothers."  I told her that I could give her a comprehensive list of how she can show me love and gratitude, but she rolled her eyes and said that she would work on it herself.  And she worked hard and it was "top secret." 

She did an amazing job.  For one thing, she was well prepared and shared some great points and quotes and scripture stories, but she also spent the majority of the talk sharing her own thoughts and feelings about the topic.  She looked comfortable and confident.  There were so many things I loved about what she shared, but my favorite points were these.  She said she knows she could show more gratitude for the little things and that she is thankful even if she doesn't say so. She said that she knows that she is loved and knows that her mother has a testimony "because she lives it and teaches us the gospel every day"  Wow - that was the best Mother's Day present of all. That's my utmost desire, that my children know they are loved and know that I have a testimony and that God loves them and provides a way for them to be happy.

Another extra fun moment is coming tomorrow night . . . we get to skype with our missionary son for Mother's Day!  I can't wait to talk to (and see!) Brandon!

And now, a few of the love notes from my family:





 


No comments: