1. Awards assemblies. Joseph got a Reading Olympics award for reading 2,428 hours during the school year. Only one other 1st grader read more than him this last year.
He especially likes Magic Treehouse books right now. He's almost finished every single Treehouse book in the library.
Sometime he reads himself right to sleep.
2. Field Trips. I chaperoned two first grade field trips during the last few weeks. First we rode a bus with all the other 1st graders into Portland to watch a rendition of "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie." It was very cute and I had a serious headache after the loud and crazy bus ride. 1st grade teachers should definitely be better compensated.
The second field trip was to an elementary/middle school dance festival.
Joseph's class was selected to represent their school by performing a freestyle dance. I have to say, it was the hit of the entire dance festival - what could be cuter than 1st graders enthusiastically boogeying across the stage? Somewhere I have the video I took of that - I'll look for it and add it later.
3. Aubrey got braces. Before and after
Ouch. Soft food for a week.
4. Bailey participated in a science fair. Not because she wanted to, but she did it anyway.
**picture coming . . . I need to have Dan download it off his phone.
5. Joseph learned to mow the lawn. Well, sort of. With significant help.
7. End of year Core Presentations at Aubrey's school - Vancouver School of Arts and Academics:
9. Aubrey participated in a very entertaining vocal concert t VSAA. As is usually the case with her awesome school, the vocal concert was well done and included other art forms. In this case, all the different choirs danced to "Jai Ho" while singing. Aubrey is on the floor in the front in a pink top. (I just spent an extraordinary amount of time figuring out how to convert the movie I took on my iphone into a format readable by blogger, and then I had to figure out how to rotate the movie so that it wasn't sideways. And now that I watch the finished product, I realize that the quality is so low that it's hard to even see the action. Oh well - I tried!)
11. End of semester recital for Aubrey at her musical theater academy. I am working on getting the video to convert and then upload to the blog. She did a great job performing several pieces, including an encore of "Home," a song from Beauty and the Beast. It was gratifying for her to be able to sing the song with the full strength of her voice (since she was sick for the play performance). She also had the chance to perform the same song at another community event.
It's been busy. But a good kind of busy!

No comments:
Post a Comment