We're are off and running in the new school year. Whew. Back into the craziness. It's good craziness, and all is well, but it is busy. My phone calendar is working overtime to keep us all on schedule.
Last week we had our first three days of school, and everything went great. Everyone wore their cute new school clothes, everyone got to their respective schools (one at high school, one at middle school, one at elementary) at the appointed time, and the reports were favorable all around.
This week we introduced another variable . . . the first day of early morning Seminary. Not only is Bailey involved in Seminary this year, but Dan was recently called to be a Seminary teacher - Bailey's teacher, in fact.
So, we have had to move back our schedule a few hours. Porters aren't known for early bedtimes. But we are changing our ways. And beginning Monday morning, Dan, Bailey, and I all got up at 4:45 a.m. They were ready for the day, breakfast eaten and lunch packed and out the door by 5:45 a.m. Then I did a load of dishes, started the laundry, and sort of accidentally fell asleep for an hour on the couch. After which I woke up Aubrey and Joseph and helped them get breakfast and lunches packed and all the other school prep stuff.
I was feeling pretty good about my organizational abilities - everything seemed pretty smooth. Joseph and I left at 8:15 to drive to school while Aubrey finished getting ready to catch the bus. We got to the school with just a few minutes to spare before the tardy bell. As we parked and prepared to walk in Joseph said in a quietly desperate voice . . .
"I forgot my shoes."
Hmmmm. No shoes. Almost late for school. That was a tricky one. I explained the options. We could run back home to get shoes, but then he would be late. (He shook his head at this option). I could carry him into the school since the ground was wet from the rain that had fallen overnight. (I didn't seriously think he would go for this option, and he didn't, because being carried by your mom when you are a big 2nd grader would be beyond humiliating.) Or he could walk into the school in his socks, and I would run his shoes by the school shortly.
So that's what we did. He tiptoed in his socks on the wet pavement all the way around the school to the door to his classroom. He trailed his backpack along the ground next to his feet, trying to disguise the fact that he was shoe-less. Even so, he got some funny looks from the kids and adults we passed. When he got to his class, he darted into his seat as fast as possible and I walked over to explain the situation to his teacher. She laughed and agreed to help him stay inconspicuous.
I'm pretty sure that Joseph will never forget the experience of walking into school without shoes - it was quite memorable. But not quite as memorable or mortifying as the day in 4th grade when I didn't get my hair done before the bus came in the morning so I decided to wear my winter coat with hood all day long to disguise my serious bedhead. And it was September and was really it hot outside. And it happened to be school pictures that day. Yep. That's embarrassing. I'm thinking he won't have quite as much residual trauma from his shoeless experience.
So, we sort of have it together as we begin a new school year. It's day by day, minute to minute effort.
Oh, and a postscript about Seminary so far - two days down, and Dan and Bailey both feel like it is going great. Dan has studied and stewed and worried and prepared over the past few months. It all paid off, and he pulled together some great object lessons/interactive activities for the first few days. The only problem is that has to pull it off five days a week all year! He'll do great.
1 comment:
How fun that Dan and Scott will both be seminary teachers this year! Now we just have to wait for Dave to be called sometime, and all our husbands (plus our Dad) would have taught! :)
Post a Comment