Friday, October 11, 2013

Back to school . . . awhile ago

 Take a look at these three cuties . . .
Now, let's just pretend that these cuties just barely headed back to school and I am sharing the pictures with family, hot off the digital camera.  Are you pretending?  I know it's a stretch, since we are ending the first quarter of school soon, but pretending makes this so much more fun.

I've always wanted to get one of those pictures with all my kids together on the first day of school, but that hasn't been possible for many years. My high schooler always leaves for school when it's mostly dark, followed a few hours later by the elementary-age kid, and finally the child in middle school takes off. So, we are on a staggered schedule, and maybe that's okay. I have time to get some individual pictures of each child.

First up was Bailey, our beautiful high school Junior, who had a special assignment on the first day of school. She is part of student government at school this year, so she had to wear her ASB shirt and then get to school early to help direct kids to their classes. She spends many hours helping with events at school.

And, in a very exciting turn of events, Bailey got her license the day before school started, so she drove herself to school!
What do you - think? Does she have enough key rings attached to the one key?
As always, it was a little surreal to send a child off to school by themselves for the first time driving a car. It's just plain weird. But I've gotten used to it and I don't even make her text me from the parking lot anymore.

 And here is one picture of Bailey from the 2nd day of school, when she was able to wear a regular outfit.

 So, after Bailey was successfully launched it was time to get the new 3rd grader up and ready for school.  Joseph was more than ready and got ready quickly, even gelling his own hair. He is meticulous about getting his hair just right before school each day. (There must a lot of cute girls in the 3rd grade).
 
This kid just cracks me up!  Notice that this year his backpack is plain black and so is his lunchbox. I'm kind of sad that he doesn't want a Spiderman backpack or lunchbox (or costume) anymore. I knew that those days would end eventually and then they just . . . did. Without any fanfare. He's growing up.


 And, finally, time to help the ever lovely 8th grader prepare for her first day of school.

Aubrey walked home from the bus after school with her good friend Laura.
Oh, and don't forget Dan . . . he had a first day too!  A first day of work with his brand new car! Because Bailey is now driving, he had to give the "kid car" back to the kid, so we found him a smokin' deal on a new Hyundai Sonata. It is just lovely and drives like a dream.  Isn't he cute?
 After school the kids enjoyed their after school treat, the traditional rice krispy treat shaped like an apple. (Which I'm not so sure that anyone enjoys enough at this point to justify the effort, so I'm looking for another idea for next year). 

For some reason, these pictures were taken the second day of school. So, I guess the celebrating lasted two days? I don't know. If I had written the post in a timely manner I might have remembered. As it is, I'll just have to make up a story to explain.
 
 

It was good to be back to school, as much as we missed summer. Structure is good! New challenges are awesome! And when school starts we know that the beautiful fall weather and colors in Washington are coming around the corner.

2 comments:

Jenny Knudsen said...

What is this fall weather you speak of? We have summer and hotter than summer... The kids look so grown up! Miss you guys!

Ali said...

Oh my goodness, Bailey definitely hit that stage where kids suddenly look like adults. I love her hair, eyebrows and clear skin! She's gorgeous! Oh to be that age again!