Monday, October 20, 2014

More this and that

Things we have been doing:


Sewing on Cub Scout patches 
Not my favorite thing to do. Not even close. But watching my cute Cub Scout wearing his uniform does rank as one of my favorites.
Joseph with his buddies at Pack Meeting last week
Attending Curriculum Nights
No picture available here, but I just had to note that for the 17th straight year I attended Curriculum Nights. The elementary curriculum nights are short, but the middle school and high school nights last from 6 p.m. until at least 9 p.m.  It's always well worth it to meet the teachers and get a feeling for the classroom expectations and challenges, but it makes for a very long day. Make that three long days this year. Because none of our kids have ever attended the same school at the same time. I have always attended curriculum nights at three or four different schools. I did a happy dance on the way to the car when I finished the final curriculum night for this school year.

Applauding when the portapotty 
finally left our driveway.
Our neighbors started a huge home addition last March and the builder put a portapotty basically in our driveway to leave room for all the worktrucks in the neighbor's driveway. Grrrrr. We crossed our fingers in the spring that it would be gone by the time of the wedding. Nope. The portapotty was a decoration for our home until last week!  We have thought about requisitioning it as the third bathroom that we desperately need in our home.  I think I creeped out the portapotty truck driver when I took pictures of him loading up and driving away. 


Sleeping in very awkward positions
Poor guy - he runs on overdrive all week, starting his day at 4:30 a.m. and teaching seminary, going to Crossfit to work out, working until at least 6 p.m. and then heading home to prepare a seminary lesson for the next day. Saturday usually isn't any more restful. For example, this last Saturday we started the day with a 9 a.m. soccer game, followed by football pictures and a flag football game, seminary prep, errands, service to neighbors, rides to and from theater practice, unplugging a slow drain in the bathroom, and attending a wedding reception (the fourth one this month). In mid-afternoon Dan, Bailey and I were talking about ideas for Bailey's college essays and we noticed that Dan had fallen asleep with a basketball cradled next to his head. Now that is exhausted!

Dressing up for Spirit Week
Bailey sported a new awesome outfit for Skyview Spirit Week every day.  
Comfy Monday, Hawaiian Tuesday, Would-you-still-be-my-friend-if-I-wore-this-to-school Wednesday, Rocker Thursday, and Color War Friday.
Apparently Bailey and her friend were so relaxed on Comfy Monday that they fell asleep on the way into the school?


 Fun story that shows that our little girl has a little bit of senioritis spunk in her:
She wore a rolled up red bandana in her hair for Rocker Day. There was an announcement at the beginning of the day saying that bandanas weren't allowed because they are afflilated with gang clothing (which is pretty dumb, I think). She begrudgingly took it off in her 1st period class and then put it right back on afterward, removing it only when she knew she was passing a security guard. But then at lunch she forgot to remove it and was busted.  The security guards told her she had to take it off. She tried to reason with them and talk her way out of it, arguing that she thought it would be okay because it was used as a headband and didn't really support gangs in any way.  No dice. The security guards were not at all amused. So she took it off very reluctantly in the lunchroom but then put it back on during every one of her classes. What a rebel (Hee hee)!

One final picture, from the Homecoming football game. Aubrey also attended with friends, and I need to get ahold of her ipod to see if she took any pictures. It was a rainy and cold night for football, but most of the kids stuck it out through the rainstorms!

No comments: