We also just loved taking a mini "vacation" together. We have a lot of fun hanging out together, especially without the incredibly pressing demands of our normal life schedules. We felt very relaxed over the weekend because we knew that Bailey was expertly handling everything at home. It was such a fun thing to do exactly what we wanted to do for a few days. A few of the things we did (other that official reunion activities):
- We ate as much Mexican food as we could fit into a day and a half. Dan's parents joined us for some meals and we met Rich and Lindsey for breakfast!
- We had a strong need for liquid in the dry and hot Arizona desert. Sonic slushies - mmmm. Bahama Bucks shaved ice. Deeelicious.


- We spent a few blissful hours browsing through two bookstores!
- We saw the new "Meet the Mormons" movie
- We attended the Friday night Mesa High football game along with some of Dan's classmates. His team got obliterated by their opponents, but we mostly talked instead of watching the painful scene.
- My blood provided sustenance for about a hundred Arizona insects. Arizona is experiencing an unusual infestation of insects because of the incredible amount of rainfall they have received lately. Our first night we chose to eat outside at Rosa's. WRONG DECISION. Some hungry bugs feasted on me throughout the meal. We think they were "noseeums". True to their name, we didn't see 'em. My legs were feeling itchy throughout the meal, and by the time we left for the football game the skin between my capri pants and shoes looked like this:
When I researched noseeums I learned that they are "voracious feeders. One noseeum may bite up to 12 times in succession, and the bugs generally travel in swarms." Ouch. The bites were unusually itchy. We ran to Walgreens to get bug spray to ward off further feasting and learned that the ENTIRE city of Mesa was out of bug spray because the bugs had been so bad. Shouldn't there have been a traveler advisory issued or something??
By the next morning my ankles and legs had swollen terribly, which made standing on them for hours at the reunion party that night especially fun.
I was more than happy to attend the reunion activities with Dan, and I had a reasonably good time there, but in no way did it ignite in me a desire to attend my 30th reunion in a few years. I actually haven't attended any of my reunions. Just because it's on my mind, here are some of my thoughts about reunions.
- There are some people for whom high school was the high point. I am not one of those people. (Either is Dan). I am grateful for the experiences I had in high school, but I was glad to move on to better things. I don't feel any need to relive high school moments.
- I attended three different high schools, so the people I graduated with I only knew for one year. I realized again this weekend that it would be really painful and embarrassing when I couldn't remember anyone and they couldn't remember me, so I will avoid that experience.
- I have pretty much stayed in contact with the people I care about. In fact, I think that facebook is the reason that lots of people didn't come to this Mesa High reunion. People feel more connected these days.
- While most of the people at Dan's 30th reunion were very down to earth, there were some who were very painfully trying to pretend like they aren't almost 50 years old. They were dressing and acting like out of control 18 year olds. It's not pretty to see or witness. I'm still trying to get certain images out of my head! Hee hee.
- I have to admit that one of the thoughts I had when I looked around at Dan's classmates was that many seemed so old. In my mind, he and I are still pretty darn young, so it's a shocker to confront proof that middle age is upon us. So maybe I'm not that different than the people I just made fun of in the bullet point above? Hmmm. Am I in denial about aging? I'm not sure. But I really don't feel that old. I feel active and happy and energetic, despite the encroaching truth of wrinkles, grey hair, and stiffer joints.
- I would have to say that there was a distinct discrepancy at this reunion between those who have lived healthy and happy lives and those who have been unkind to their bodies and dealt with a lot of trauma and sadness. All those things are hard to hide in middle age.
- At this 30 year reunion it was abundantly clear that relationships are what make people happy. At this stage of life, those who have invested in relationships seemed to be more likely to have full, rich lives.



No comments:
Post a Comment