Friday, December 12, 2014

Giving thanks (and missing family)

We did our best to make Thanksgiving festive and had a good time, but we really missed having family around, especially Brandon and Angela (who couldn't get away from work and school long enough to join us).

This was a low-key year food-wise since no one would be joining us, especially compared to last year when we hosted Angela and Angela's parents (we invited several families in our area to eat with us but none were able to). In many ways it was nice to have a laid-back holiday, but I actually felt more frazzled on Thanksgiving than I did the year before! I think it's because I had to be SO organized and prepared last year and did much of the food prep on the days before Thanksgiving. This year I half-heartedly prepared, leaving too much for the big day.

Aubrey did bravely accompany me the day before Thanksgiving to pick up a few pies at Costco. Amazingly, we didn't even wait in much of a line.
For dinner we had turkey (although it wasn't done cooking until after dinner . . .), ham, homemade rolls, salad, several types of veggies, jello, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, and three types of pie.  Personally, I find this type of food so boring becuase there is nothing spicy, but it met our need for traditional foods and made most everyone happy.  I have to admit that I had a post-dinner treat of Afghanian flatbread and dipping sauces I had picked up at Costco.

We also had as much sparkling cider as we could drink.
Wow, Aubrey got a little carried away!
There was lots of giggling and joke telling.

After dinner we watched "It's a Wonderful Life" while we tied blankets for the homeless shelter.
In the evening Dan spontaneously decided to check out Black Friday at Target and Best Buy, and Aubrey went with him to shop. They said it was decidedly non-crazy and they found almost everything for Christmas!
Aubrey even came home with matching ugly Christmas sweaters for her and Bailey.
And, finally, here is a picture my mom sent of Brandon and Angela playing a game with Kara and Dave's kids.  We were sad to not be with all the family at the cabin in Heber this year!

No comments: