Monday, September 12, 2016

Angels

(I found this in my drafts. I'm not sure why I didn't hit "publish" a few months ago, but the sentiments are still immensely valid.) 

Recently I was studying in the Book of Mormon about the people of Limhi and the people of Alma. Their respective righteousness and and attitudes toward adversity are often compared, but I noticed that they both eventually did the exact same thing.  "And it came to pass that so great were their afflictions that they began to cry mightily to God."  (Mosiah 23:10)  "And they did humble themselves even in the depths of humility; and they did cry mightily to God, yea, even all the day long did they cry until their God that he would deliver them out of their afflictions." (Mosiah 21:14) This pattern is repeated throughout scripture as people were humbled to the DEPTHS of humility and cried for relief.

Here's the thing. I totally get this. I relate to what it feels like to be in the depths of humility. 

I have descended to some dark and difficult places as I struggle to help loved ones through challenges.  I have watched loved ones in my home and out of my home deal with things that are so big that I don't know how I can possibly help them.  I have found myself crying "mightily" until God throughout the day and acknowledging to Him that some things are a lot bigger than my mortal ability to carry them. 

As part of God's answer to my prayers, I have felt the presence of angels. At times I have sensed the concern and presence of those beyond the veil who have a personal interest in my well-being and the well-being of my family.  I think that some of my angels are my grandmas who have passed on, and who are rooting for all of us and supporting us when we are weak.  I found myself thinking about a talk a few years ago by Elder Holland.

 "In the course of life all of us spend time in “dark and dreary” places, wildernesses, circumstances of sorrow or fear or discouragement. But I testify that angels are still sent to help us, even as they were sent to help Adam and Eve, to help the prophets, and indeed to help the Savior of the world Himself." 

For me, one of the hardest challenges so far has been watching my children deal with hard stuff. I need to remember Elder Holland's words and that there is power in the covenants I have made with God:
"I ask everyone within the sound of my voice to take heart, be filled with faith, and remember the Lord has said He “would fight our battles, our children’s battles, and the battles of our children’s children.” And what do we do to merit such a defense? We are to “search diligently, pray always, and be believing. Then all things shall work together for our good, if we walk uprightly and remember the covenant wherewith we have covenanted.”
In addition to heavenly help, I have been lifted by some people in my life who are intuitive, kind, and placed in my life by a loving Heavenly Father. 
"I have spoken here of heavenly help, of angels dispatched to bless us in time of need. But when we speak of those who are instruments in the hand of God, we are reminded that not all angels are from the other side of the veil. Some of them we walk with and talk with—here, now, every day.  Indeed heaven never seems closer than when we see the love of God manifested in the kindness and devotion of people so good and so pure that angelic is the only word that comes to mind."
Finally, a few scriptures and words of a hymn which have resonated with me lately. 
 “I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, … my Spirit shall be in your heart, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up.” D&C 84:88
For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes. Revelations 7:17

Where, when my aching grows,
Where, when I languish,
Where, in my need to know, where can I run?
Where is the quiet hand to calm my anguish?
Who, who can understand?
He, only One.

No comments: