Monday, March 13, 2017

March highlights

A few random thoughts.


Diagnosing Mystery Illnesses
All last week Joseph had a stomach ache every evening. Several times he thought he might throw up. Thursday night it was bad enough that he was up for most of the night and he missed school the next day. We were beginning to wonder if he was getting to be lactose intolerant, because before bed every night he has Cheerios with milk and instant breakfast with milk. But, this theory didn't make sense because he has something similar for breakfast every day and never feels sick then. Friday morning I was tidying up and noticed that the HUUUUUUGE bag of Skittles he had received for his birthday the week before was 2/3 gone.  Aha.  I asked Joseph if he had been munching on Skittles every evening after dinner.  Yep. Apparently a lot of Skittles in the stomach + Cheerios = a really big stomach ache.  We banished the Skittles, and his stomach health has been restored.

On a positive note, because Joseph had an unexpected day home last Friday and because the weather was FINALLY sunny and beautiful, we had a wonderful time taking a long walk during the day. We looked at all the new neighborhoods and houses being built to the west of us and looked closely at the buds starting to form on all the trees. Joseph showed me how fast his new Nike shoes make him run. 
It was a good day and totally worth missing out on the middle school melee for one day!

Letting Go
10 years ago I found a pair of shoes at Payless Shoes which have been my favorite church shoes. 

They worked with lots of outfits, were comfortable, and had a strap to keep the shoes on my feet no matter how fast I walked. A few years ago the admittedly cheaply made shoes began to fall apart, but i have been carefully glueing together the soles and various parts. I couldn't bring myself to take the cheap shoes to be fixed by an expensive shoe repair shop. Finally, last month when Aubrey and I were attending the ASL ward in Portland and taking a walk around the block before going into the chapel because we felt a little awkward walking into the room where we really don't speak the dominant language. . . . my shoes finally gave up the ghost.  The entire heel came loose from the upper part of the shoe.  Not salvageble. I have mourned this loss for days, but finally found an adequate replacement. At Payless again, because I'm cheap like that. Now I just have to get myself to throw out the shoes that have been my friends for all these years.

Scholar Extraordinaire
Aubrey received an unexpected but much deserved distinction this last week. She was nominated by her physics teacher to represent her school in science for an award given by the American Association of University Women to young women who excel in science, math, and technology. We will be attending a special awards assembly soon and there is supposed to be a write-up in the newspaper!

Primary Overload
This last weekend was an intense one for my church calling. Friday night Dan and I and my counselors and husbands spent all night setting up for the stake pinewood derby event.  
  
Saturday was the crazy, chaotic event all day, and then cleanup and disassembly of the track. Sunday morning we dragged ourselves to a different ward at 8:30 a.m. where Dan gave an amazing talk about anchoring ourselves to Christ and I listened. Then my presidency and I took over our ward's Primary during the adult meeting of Ward Conference. Keeping tired and cranky kids engaged from 2:30 - 4 p.m. when they had been already sitting through an hour and a half Sacrament Meeting required all the energy we were able to summon. They were a pretty hard to please crowd, especially the Sunbeams! After we ate some dinner and facetimed my parents for awhile, I attended a 2 hour meeting for 11 year old Scout camp. When I got home I was cranky and tired, with a pounding headache. I was completely unable to be an interested or helpful Mom until after I had gotten some decent sleep. 

No comments: