Friday, January 26, 2018

Santa's on His Way!

Christmas Eve fell on Sunday this year, and it was a magical day. Our church was at 1 p.m. and we had plenty of time in the morning to enjoy the miracle Christmas Eve snow falling outside while listening to Handel's Messiah sung by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. I can't imagine a better morning than that!
Before church we read the last of our Christmas books under the tree. We had saved one of our very favorites for Christmas Eve.

Church was only one hour and was mostly a musical program. Aubrey sang in the choir. After church we took a few pictures before heading home to get ready for our Christmas Eve fun.

We made broccoli soup and apple crisp for Christmas Eve, and we ate our soup with Great Harvest wheat bread and sparkling cider. Perfect!
Then we acted out the Christmas story. It's hard to tell from this picture, but Aubrey acted out all the parts of the story (angel, shepherds, etc) other than Mary and Joseph. It was hilarious!
And here are Mary and Joseph.
After reading/acting out the Christmas story the kids opened up their new Christmas book and pjs. Sadly, the pjs I had bought didn't fit great, so most of them were returned and exchanged later. Oh well - can't get everything right!
And then the kids set up their mattresses on the floor of the bonus room for their traditional Christmas Eve sleepover. They watched The Grinch before falling asleep, and then Santa was able to visit the Porters! 
Here is this year's communication between the Porter kids and Santa. I hadn't read them closely during Christmas, and when I just took the time to read all of the letter and responses I cried happy tears for the amazing kids I have. I think their words clearly show their kindness, Christ-centeredness, and persistence through hard things. I'm so grateful for them (and for the Santa who answers their letters), because they are all the only Christmas gifts I need.


No comments: