Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Watch out, Food Network . . . Here We Come!

Bailey received cake decorating classes for her 12th birthday. I took the classes with her, every Tuesday in July. I've always though cake decorating seemed daunting and complicated, and I haven't really changed that assessment. We worked hard to create our first "Wilton roses" on this cake, which we decorated our last day of class. Whew . . .

Next we tackle fondant and gum paste, hoping to eventually make something worthy of our favorite Food Network show, "Ace of Cakes"!

By the way, notice the sweat on our brows - it is due to more than the strenous exertion in our class. This was the record-breaking week of 105 to 108 degree days with 80% humidity. Man, it was as hot as Phoenix during monsoon season. We were so glad to return to our "just right"summer weather!

1 comment:

Shellee said...

YAY! I''m so glad that you were able to take those classes. Alyssa's getting those classes for her birthday and I am excited for her.
Fondant and Gum Paste are so much fun to play with!!!!!!! You need to try out the marshmallow fondant from allrecipes.com. It's awesome!
Sorry about the weather, maybe it's so that you an be more sympathize with us. We just don't hit 80% humidity, maybe around 50% during the day until the clouds and rain start. You know how that goes!
Love you!~