Monday, November 2, 2009

Alien eyeball, anyone?

All of our friends and family in far-flung states, you really missed out. Had you happened by the Porter house Friday night, you could have been a part of our Annual Disgusting Dinner Delight. You, too, could have used your scab picker and gut retriever to eat alien eyeballs, zombie intestines, slime, crunchy bat brains, Monster Mash, Frankenstein's Fright, hollow bones, and leftover toejam. Oh, and don't forget the star attraction, the arachnid nightmare.

We had a great time with this tradition. The lighting was dim, the music spooky, and the participants brave. Happy Halloween!
Joseph making his menu choices.

Bailey and Aubrey left right after dinner to attend a ward trunk-or-treat with friends.I was sentimental about this being Brandon's last Halloween dinner with us. He was preoccupied with leaving on his date, but did grace us with his presence for a few minutes. Teenagers.

I totally forgot to take a picture of my favorite part of the meal - the brownie spiders. Very labor intensive, but worth it. I borrowed a pan from a friend in which I baked brownies shaped liked spider bodies. Then I dipped pretzels in chocolate and inserted them in the brownie for legs, added some frosting, and some red hots for eyes. They were spooky and delicious!

The next day we made more brownie spiders to take to the Halloween party Brandon attended Halloween night. Some of his friends in the ward (twin girls who are also seniors in high school) put on a great party for all the youth. I helped their mom with some of the food. Brandon cringed at the fact that we provided brownies in the shape of spiders. I didn't care. It is part of my Mother Job Description to embarrass my teenagers! I checked with the girl throwing the party and her friends, and they all thought it was such a "super cute" idea. So, there you go. Now, I just need to figure out how to send something equally embarrassing to Brandon at BYU next year . . .

1 comment:

Grandpa Alan said...

Please let us know if we can help embarrass Brandon next year while at BYU. It's in the Grandpa Job Description.