
Last Saturday Brandon's band ("Change for a 5") participated in a Battle of the Bands-type competition in Portland. I have no video, as I discovered that I was missing a memory card for our camcorder once we arrived.

They did great! Brandon wrote the lyrics and music for most of the six songs they performed. We were impressed with how professional they sounded.

The competition was held in the Roseland Theater, which is in one of the scary parts of Portland, and Portland can be
very scary. With the exception of one or two other bands, most of the music performed was of the ear-splitting, head-banging, screeching variety. Wow. I was so sorry that I forgot earplugs. So, I put my hands over my ears and risked being beat up by all the audience members who were enjoying the chaos. Needless to say, that type of music attracted an *interesting* audience.
a
We were relieved when Change for a 5 began singing and the more frightening people left the room. I think the music was too melodic for them. Fifty kids from Skyview High School (where all the boys attend) came to support the band.
a
We were amazed at how confident Brandon was up on the stage. He was sensational on the guitar, and also sang on some of the songs. It is really fun for Dan and I to see the kids finding joy in using some of their talents. It's important to us that they have a chance to explore different talents.
a
But, the next time I venture into such a place, I will definitely remember ear protection!
No comments:
Post a Comment