When it comes to Mother's Day, my kids have been well-trained in spoiling me (trained by Dan, who is the master spoiler). Dan was at church for meetings for a few hours after church. When the kids and I arrived home, the kids ordered me upstairs to lay down in bed and read. Brandon, Bailey, and Aubrey brought me lunch on a tray, made me cookies, and left me a bell to ring in case I needed any additional services. I took a nap, read a book, and enjoyed being spoiled.
Joseph was funny. He caught on to the fact that it was a special day for Mom. Whereas the older kids felt like the best way to treat me was to let me have time alone, Joseph had a different idea. As only a five-year-old could do, he walked into the room with piles of toys, which he deposited on my bed. This is what he said,"It is Mama's day, so I will play games with you and you can read me books." And we did. I thought it was funny, sweet, and slightly narcissistic that in his mind what I would most like to do is spend time with him!
Each year I have mothered has been more rewarding and more challenging. This year in particular I have felt ambivalence about whether I am a good enough mother to each of my kids. My own failings seem glaring. Sunday morning I read this quote in the newspaper. I believe it was from an article written by the author Scott Turow.
"It is a sentimental myth that a mother's effect on her children is always good. Her power over their lives is so enormous that any character failings are inevitably magnified, even for the best mothers."
I'm not sure if that makes me feel better, but I do think it is true.
I am grateful for each of my children. They are a tremendous blessing in my life. I am glad for the chance I have to play a role in their lives. I am incredibly grateful for the influence of the Spirit in my life and the goodness of my Savior. I am imperfect, and will remain so despite my best efforts. I know it is the influence of the Spirit and the perfection of the Savior that compensate for my sometimes clumsy efforts to be the mom my kids deserve.
No comments:
Post a Comment