Sunday, September 12, 2010

The End of Summer

Where did summer go? We all agree that summer went by much too fast this year. We did many fun things, and the weeks were so packed with fun that there were few lazy days of summer left. I am always sad when the kids go back to school. I miss seeing my kids during the day. And I am so glad that my kids are involved in so many great activities after school, but I groan at the thought of the hours I will spend in the car getting them to and from these activities.

But, life is full of mercies, and this is one of them . . . every year, when I am feeling my most sentimental about summer ending and the kids leaving, I am blessed with a few days when they fight and whine incessantly. It is on those days that I look around my house (which is a disaster) and listen to doors slamming and voices screaming and I think . . . . okay, let school begin.  And so it did.
Bailey, who is our oldest at home now, is 13 years old and in 8th grade. This is her last year of Middle School!

Aubrey on her first day of 5th grade, her last year of elementary school.


Joseph entered Kindergarten! He was very excited and not a bit scared. He is ready for school and loves to learn and play with friends. 
Sitting at his desk, a little unsure.

Leaving class on the first day.  "That was so great, Mom!  I love Kindergarten!  And tomorrow can I take the bus home?"
These were the rice krispie treat "apples" I made for a treat after the first day of school.


For dinner on the first day of school, we had Wisconsin Cauliflower Soup and homemade breadsticks. Yum!  Especially good, since our weather the first week of school was rainy and cold.

No comments: