Tuesday, September 7, 2010

We did it!

Back in April we set a family goal to read the Book of Mormon together before Brandon left to college. It took us until the very last minute to meet this goal. We dropped off Brandon at BYU on the 19th of August. The evening of August 18th we sat together in my parent's basement in Draper, UT, and read the last two chapters of Moroni together. We did it!

I am not going to pretend this was an easy goal for us to complete at this point in our lives. This was the busiest summer I remember experiencing. Nonstop graduation-related activities started in May/June, followed up by visits from family, and then our family traveling for a number of  weeks. Vacations really altered our reading schedule of two chapters a day. Too often we missed reading during vacation days. On days when we were "catching up" we often needed to read three or four chapters at a time. Sometimes the kids were patient with this, sometimes they weren't. Sometimes the youngest child was whining, sometimes it was an older child (sometimes it was an adult).

We also didn't experience an instant infusion of calmness and peace in our home. Kids still argued at least as much as usual. Each person dealt with their personal trials. Our parenting challenges remained and maybe intensified.  As we did our best to faithfully read, despite obstacles, our problems were not immediately solved. Too often, scripture time was Family Fight Time. I can't count the number of times Dan or I had to march a child out of the room for time-out DURING scripture study. Sometimes I wondered how the Spirit could possibly be in the Porter home for any extended period of time.

So was it worth it?  Absolutely.

I was reminded of a valuable truth.  Living the precepts of the gospel and trying to be faithful does not spare us from trials. Just look at the lives of the faithful people in the Book of Mormon who were besieged with persecution and war. There were many times when the Spirit did testify to us sweetly, and times when the passages we read inspired a discussion that helped to build and strengthen our testimonies. .

Sometimes I think about the Jaredites, whose barges were plunged under the water in violent storms and thrown back and forth by merciless wind as they tried to make it to the promised land which they believed existed and was possible for them to achieve. I'm sure they would have preferred to travel on a luxury cruise liner, with very little rocking on the waves and plenty of sunshine and fresh air.  But, they called upon God when they were "encompassed about by many waters, and he did bring them forth again upon the top of the waters (Ether 6:7)." They were driven forth, and the very wind and storm which caused their discomfort propelled them to the promised land.  I see the journey of our family (and maybe all families) in this story. The very challenges which vex us are driving us to where we need to be, if we are calling on the Lord for help.

There were many wonderful moments that I hope have imprinted themselves upon the fabric of our family. Stories of faith, perseverance, courage, love, and guidance. Stories about "real super-heroes" for Joseph to emulate (even better than Spiderman). Stories about real people enduring real trials and learning to be faithful and humble and patient. We saw again the devastating effects of the cycle of pride and wealth, and we thought about how that applies to us today. We talked about how merciful the Lord was to His people, even when they didn't deserve mercy. We felt the pain of Mormon and Moroni as they watched a civilization move rapidly from righteousness to depraved wickedness, and we felt Moroni's loneliness as he stood alone as last righteous holdout in a wicked world.

Every time I read the Book of Mormon, I feel an even stronger witness that it is full of truth and power. I love this book of scripture. The sound of my children reading the words of the prophets out loud is one of the sweetest sounds I know.

I am grateful for the chance to read the Book of Mormon this summer. I'm even grateful that it was a hard challenge, because the effort made the victory even sweeter.

No comments: