And I don't feel any older that 29! I had a wonderful 40th birthday last week. As is always the case in our family, I had a birthday WEEK. We started the Saturday before my birthday with a family dinner out to Sweet Tomatoes and night at the movies (Karate Kid 2). Sunday after church the girls spoiled me. Bailey presented me with a beautiful menu, from which I could choose our Sunday dinner. I chose, and she made it herself! (Hawaiian haystacks and delicious homemade breadsticks). Aubrey handed me an invitation to a spa, which was located in my bedroom upstairs. She had me soak in a bubble bath (in my swimsuit) and then get dressed and relax on the bed while she rubbed lotion into my feet and hands. She played relaxing Sunday music in the background and even had candles and seashells spread artfully around the room (thanks to a visit to the Dollar Store the day before).
The next day was my birthday. At 11:30 I heard a revving engine outside my door. It was the "Birthday Bus" - my friend Shalee's motor home. She and Misty picked me up, gave me a birthday sombrero and medallion to wear, and then drove to pick up more friends. We rode in the birthday bus to downtown Vancouver, laughing and jamming to music, where even more friends met us for lunch! There were pictures taken of the event, and when I get them I will add them to this post. We had a great time, and I felt very loved by wonderful friends.
During the day Bailey set up a reading spot for me on my bed. Aubrey was the waitress who checked on me and tended to my every need.
The night of my birthday Dan and the kids busily prepared the kitchen for another celebration. When I came down, it looked like this. As you can see, I am very young to have an 18 year old son!
The next day Bailey decorated the bonus room with loads of crepe paper for a "movie night." There was a concession stand stocked with treats, and everything was free for me, the birthday girl. My girls watched all six hours of Pride and Prejudice with me (the very best version of the movie)! I have asked them to watch this for years, and they had resisted, but a few hours into it and they were hooked on the subtle humor and romance only Jane Austen can provide. It was great!
Dan surprised me with details about a trip he had planned for later in the week - a vacation to Victoria Island in Vancouver, B.C.! We spent a few days securing arrangements for the kids for two nights, and then we were off for a fabulous weekend. More about Victoria in another post.
I feel like the most blessed woman alive. Each decade of my life is only getting better, so bring on the 40s! Life is good.
No comments:
Post a Comment