Remembering September 11th, 2001
On Sept. 11 '02, 3,003 flags were displayed n er the City Hall in Sandy. One flag was flown for each person killed in the terrorist attacks which occurred one year before. It was a very moving sight. Bailey and Aubrey posed for a picture among the flags. Here are our memories about the day of the infamous terrorist attacks . .
Dan - I was in California for business meetings. I woke up early and turned on the TV. I heard that a plane had hit a World Trade tower in NY, and that it was thought to be an accident. While I was watching, a live video showed the second plane hitting the other tower. I was in shock. This was obviously a terrorist attack. I was worried about getting home from CA. The airports were closed until Friday, when I flew home to Utah. It was hard to focus on work that week. We wanted to listen to the news and try to make sense of the unanswerable questions. It seemed to me this was the beginning of things to come.
Tiffany - After driving Brandon to school, I drove to Costco with Bailey, Ashlyn (who was spending the night), and Aubrey. When we walked in, everyone in the store was gathered around the TV displays, watching the news. We were curious, an watched as the second plane hit the towers. I felt sick. The girls didn't understand the significance of what we were watching. I had a hard time finishing our shopping, and spent most of the day sneaking peeks at the news, without letting the kids see disturbing images.
Brandon - I had no idea what had happened until I got to school and heard kids joking bout how planes crashed. I thought they were joking. When I walked in, my teacher had the TV news on, showing what happened. I had mixed feelings. I was confused and wondered if they just made it up. I was sad to know that probably it did happen. I was angry because kids were joking about it. I was wondering if they would do it again - the next day, next year, or maybe attack my school. Also, I thought about how this was something really big that would be in the history books, and I was 9 years old and would remember that I lived through it.
Bailey (age 4) - I remember one day I was taking up piles of clothes for Mom and they were talking about the towers. It made me feel bad because some people even got dead. When I went to bed that night I dreamed that I was in the buildings and died.

No comments:
Post a Comment