This morning my baby (who will always be my baby, even though he is six) woke up with a bad dream. He called out to me with a tremulous voice and then gladly ran over to my bed and climbed in. Dan was already downstairs and Bailey was getting ready for early morning seminary, but I had a few minutes to rest with my Joseph to help him get back to sleep.
As soon as he was lying next to me his breathing slowed and his fears dissipated. Within a minute he was asleep again, but with one foot on my leg to make sure I was still nearby.
I thought about how often this scenario has replayed over the years. When each of the kids were young and they had their "can't sleep" or "scary dream" moments, they have snuggled with us in bed, or I've laid down with them in their bed. Just my proximity calmed them, and they were able to let go and go to sleep.
It's breathtaking how quickly kids grow up. Pretty soon Joseph (like the rest of our kids) will be too "grown up" to need my help to go back to sleep. Or, maybe they do need help, but their worries and concerns are sometimes too big to be calmed by mere proximity to Mom. I wish I could make all my kid's problems go away as easily as I helped Joseph go back to sleep this morning.
For right now I will enjoy the fact that there is at least one problem I have the power to solve.
1 comment:
I am so with you. My kids all still climb in bed with me when they have a bad dream... even the 13 yr old.
When I have a bad dream, I lay my foot on Curt's leg just like Joseph did to you. There's a feeling of security for me knowing that a priesthood holder is by my side. It makes all my scaries go away.
Post a Comment