Jacob 5 in the Book of Mormon is what we call the "Parable of the Olive Tree." It has never been my favorite chapter of scripture. It's long and repetitive and there's a lot of grafting going on, which isn't something I can really relate to. But one day I read verses 21-22 with new eyes:
And it came to pass that the servant said unto his master: How comest thou hither to plant this tree, or this branch of the tree? For behold, it was the poorest spot in all the land of thy vineyard.
And the Lord of the vineyard said unto him: Counsel me not: I knew that it was a poor spot of ground; wherefore, I said unto thee, I have nourished it this long time, and thou beholdest that it hath brought forth much fruit.Suddenly, the vineyard and the servant vanished and I realized that these scriptures were a conversation I was having with God.
I said: "Why have you given my loved ones these great challenges? It's not fair and it's really hard and it feels like too much for them to handle. I know that You can make heal them and make these hard things go away. Will you do it?"
And the Lord said: "Counsel me not. I knew that this was going to be a challenge. Did you think I didn't know? I "planted" them. I was fully aware of the hard things which they would deal with. But I want you to remember that I am watching over them with loving attention and I have been nourishing them for many years and will continue to do so as long as they turn to me. And if you really look you will see that there are great "fruits" which have been harvested. There are things they could not have learned without the experience of growing in this poor ground. Have faith in the Lord of the vineyard."I hope it's not sacrilegious to document my conversation with the Lord in this way. This was a very real answer to my prayers and still brings tears to my eyes when I think about it. I am grateful for the Lord's nourishment as we contend with our poor spots of ground.
No comments:
Post a Comment