It has happened. I actually caught up on all the "events" of our life on the blog and so now I have the luxury of writing some of my thoughts instead.
I can remember quite a few years when I disliked January. Especially in areas where it snows a lot, January is often tedious. I can recall snow stained brown from road grime, mind numbing cold and bad roads, and in Utah there was often polluted air from the inversion. Many years January felt like punishment after the warm glow of December drifted away.
I feel differently about this January. This last month I felt invigorated. I felt full of energy and unburdened. I felt hopeful, optimistic, and peaceful. All those things were in contrast to how December felt. December had so many great moments, including some wonderful family time during the holidays. But there were some particular situations which felt suffocating, hopeless, and burdensome through the myopic vision I develop while going through hard things. Couple that with a month full of nonstop events and important Christmas rituals and traditions which require a lot of work on my part, and I was really exhausted by the end of the month. A few days of emotionally and physically resting after Christmas, and a turn for the better in some of the challenges, and January dawned with new light and clarity.
Once I felt my energy return I experienced a severe case of the January de-cluttering and organizing I do every year. I have unburdened myself of hundreds of things in the last few weeks. Books, toys, mementos, clutter, extra kitchen stuff. I've been giving away things to friends almost every day, selling some things on ebay, and giving the rest to Goodwill. It really feels great. Lighter.
I didn't formally set resolutions this year, and I didn't last year either. But I have been gradually chipping away at improving myself in small ways. I've made progress, and that's what counts. This new year is shining brightly with hope. I can see the many blessings in my life, and I can see the ways the Lord has supported me through the hard times. Whatever comes, I'll meet the challenges of 2016.
No comments:
Post a Comment