Life runs by at such a frantic pace. There were a few moments lately when time seemed to stop while I focused on a moment.
Joseph comes down the stairs in the morning, dragging his fuzzy Batman blankie. He walks toward me with his sleepy eyes and Spiderman pjs. Crawls onto on my lap and fits just right. Pulls his blankie over both of our heads and snuggles. Our breathing and heartbeats synchronize and I know that nothing is more important right now because I'm cuddling my baby. Knowing that it won't be much longer that he will want to cuddle on my lap. It won't be much longer that he will even fit on my lap.
Aubrey walks out of her musical theater class with lights in her eyes. Can't contain the happy smile on her face that says it all. She likes what she is doing and is proud of herself for her work. For just a moment, she brims with quiet confidence, and I feel like a mirror, reflecting her optimism and bliss. I want nothing more than for my kids to uncover their strengths and find things they love to do.
Shopping with Bailey on a morning that school starts late. Watching her face light up as she finds just the right pair of jeans (and on sale) and new shoes. Hearing "thank you thank you thank you, Mom", and wanting to thank her for sprinkling joy in my life. Watching her run into school wearing her new skinny jeans and Keds (the same styles I wore as a teenager - recycled). There is a lilt in her step, a flip of the hair, and a moment when I can see the little girl becoming the young woman right before my eyes.
Sharing a long hug with Brandon. Holding on longer than normal, and feeling him do the same. Letting the hug be more eloquent than the words which aren't always effective or expressed. Feeling the goodness of his spirit, the joy in his proximity, and the pain of letting go.
I can't freeze time, even if I would want to. But I will try to freeze and remember moments.
1 comment:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I feel myself thinking the same thing sometimes.
What I'm most grateful for is that my babies still snuggle with me. Aaron is my biggest snuggler. I love the moments before they all go to bed and just want to be near me while I'm reading in my bed. When Curt has to go out of town, they fight over who gets to sleep by me and usually they all win.
I love motherhood.
Post a Comment