On the 29th of December I had the chance to make a short visit to Moses Lake, WA. (A friend rode with me to keep me company on the 5 1/2 hour car ride. I dropped her off to visit relatives in Tri Cities.)
It is always nice to return to see the people I love in a place I remember well, but this time I was especially going to visit my Grandpa Palmer, who is very ill. It was sad to see him in such a weakened state, but wonderful to have a chance to express love in person. It was also great to see Grandma Palmer and help her with some things around the house. My parents and my sister Kara were also there (they had driven from Utah the day that we flew back home after Christmas).
While in town we met my Aunt Lora, Uncle Brent, Aunt Hollis, Uncle Barry, their daughter Kendra, and her kids at a famous pizza parlor called Chico's Pizza. I had forgotten how good it is. Really - the best pizza.
When we got to Chico's, Kara gave me an awesome "anniversary present" - a maple bar from Safeway and orange Tic Tacs. It is our own private remembrance . . . . but now I'll share it so it won't be private anymore. When we were kids we would sometimes walk around the town (which consisted of about two streets) on a Saturday, looking through the few stores. We would always end up at Safeway, where we would each buy a maple bar and orange Tic Tacs. Which we would take across the street to the library and eat outside on the bench. After which time we would go inside the library and find a book to read in the big clawfoot bathtub lined with carpet squares. Ah . . . small towns. Simple pleasures, good memories.
It was great to see everyone in ML, especially Grandpa and Grandma. It is good to see that Grandpa is at peace and not in a lot of pain right now. I was glad to have a chance to be with him for a bit. Our prayers will continue to be with him.

No comments:
Post a Comment