This year we invited a family in the ward with three adorable kids. I don't know why I didn't get pictures of both of our families all together. I also never took pictures of the tables set up in the living room and the spread of food. I guess that by the time dinner was ready to be served I was totally focused on being the host and not thinking about documenting the moment.
But, we had a great time. The Dickman family moved here recently from Utah. Their relaxed approach to life and the holiday mirrored our own, so we got along just great.
We just laughed about all the minor fiascos. The big batch of stuffing that got dumped down the disposal because we were so distracted that we made it wrong (stuffing soup, anyone?). The fancy roasted garlic mashed red potatoes which somehow turned out to have the consistency of glue. Yummmm. Luckily we had also prepared traditional mashed potatoes, so the gravy wasn't lonely.
The rolls were . . . well . . . perfection.
Our friends brought a deliciously brined turkey
While the adults got the meal finalized, Bailey and Aubrey helped the younger kids make cute little turkeys.By the time they finished their candy turkeys it was time for the big meal. We started the meal by looking at the gratitude tree and sharing one thing we are most grateful for. Then we enjoyed a delicious meal and great conversation!
After dinner the kids ran and played for hours. Eventually our friends the Fultons joined us for dessert (I believe we had 4 pies and 1 cheesecake - we had tons of leftovers that sat in our fridge when we left the next day!) It was a great holiday, although by the end of the day I couldn't figure out why I felt vaguely stressed. It turns out that I wasn't stressed - I was sick. Achey and feverish by bedtime. I came down with the worst cold I have had in years and it lasted for weeks! I felt terrible about exposing our friends to the virus.
Rewinding to earlier in the day, Dan just couldn't help himself . . . he had to check out all the ads. It is rare these days that he goes out on a Black Friday, and I do most of the Christmas and birthday shopping, but he still loves the "hunt."
Bailey and Joseph intently checked out something on the ipod touch. Too bad I can't remember what it was!
And, we did an impromptu photo shoot in the back yard when Bailey alerted us that the light was just right.
No comments:
Post a Comment