Friday, January 18, 2013

Mother Nature's New Year Gift

On New Years Eve Day we were eating a big pancake breakfast and I mentioned how it had been a pretty nice winter so far - not too much rain and with breaks of sun. The only thing that could make it more perfect would be some snow, but that was not in the forecast.

I kid you not - at that very moment I saw white flakes falling outside the window behind the breakfast nook.  I shrieked and my jaw dropped to the floor.

Sure enough, we were getting some real snow.  Sooooo cool and fun!

Aubrey and Joseph ran outside to make snowballs (the snow packed really well) and catch snowflakes on their tongue.  Bailey joined us a little bit later. 
 Next we moved to the front yard to have a snowball fight and take pictures in the snow.
 
The  kids danced in their pjs in the snow to celebrate our good fortune.


  
We decided that we really needed to sled on the hills near the Pavilion in our neighborhood, so we hauled out our rarely used sleds and Aubrey called her friend Laura.

We had so much fun!
 
 
 
 
 
We finished the morning with hot chocolate and candy canes back at our house.  Our surprise snowstorm (which didn't melt for a few days) was a great gift to begin this new year!

No comments: