This year I did my very best to be intentional about my preparations for Christmas. I wanted less stress, less last-minute running around, and more time to do things that are meaningful to me.
I made a list in November of all the important "have-tos." Then I made myself cross a few things off the list. Anything that could be done early, I did then. I tried to anticipate (for once) the types of last minute gifts that would be required . . . a gift for the teacher, a tip for the newspaper carrier, pjs for the Giving Tree at the school, neighbor gifts, gifts for the kid's friends . . . Dan and I planned and shopped for our gifts for the kids and each other. I planned ahead and scheduled some things we have always wanted to do at Christmas, like ride the Polar Express train. The busy part of the season was pretty much done by the second week of December. Even the kid's concerts and the ward Christmas parties were done within the first few weeks.
I'm still a little surprised how well it worked. Certainly, it happens to be a pretty calm December for us. We aren't traveling anywhere and aren't expecting company. And we were super busy in November, so December has felt quiet in comparison. And, my kids are getting older and are mostly helpful.
For whatever reason, I have felt less stressed, less busy, more grateful, and more calm. I have experienced an unexpected blessing: because my busy errands were done early I have been able to be involved in more service. And I've had some interesting experiences. Moms (like me) tend to chat with friends about how unprepared we feel for Christmas. In past years I have commiserated in these conversations about how much more I have to do in not enough time. This last week when I was talking to neighbors and friends about their Christmas preparations I felt some whisperings of inspiration about specific things I could offer to do to help them. And when I felt these inspirations come I was able to act on them. In past years I might have been too intent on my own to-do list to notice needs around me or too busy to follow through. These are simple, not very extraordinary things I've been able to do, but it doesn't matter. As I have had the chance to help in simple ways I feel the love of my Savior and I know that He is pleased when I love as He does.
This year I have a new understanding of the connection between Thanksgiving and Christmas. It has been a wonderful and eventful year in our home, with Brandon coming home safe from his mission. At Thanksgiving my heart was filled with appreciation for the blessing of having my family together and for the joy the gospel brings into my life. As Christmas approached and I had time to think and continue to express gratitude to my Heavenly Father, I realized that the gratitude of Thanksgiving points directly to Christ, for whom we celebrate at this season. Everything that is good about my life is because of Him, and I continue to experience guidance and direction and comfort as a gift of His atonement every single day.

No comments:
Post a Comment