Thursday, December 26, 2013

Post-Christmas thoughts

There's a pretty annoying Michael McClean Christmas song called "I cry the day I take the tree down".  Although I don't love the song, I relate to the message.

I cry the day
that I take the tree down
I want the season
To last all year round
And I'm dreaming of
Christmases when
We'll be together again.

For all of my growing up years and first years of marriage I was downright depressed when Christmas was over. 364 more days until the next Christmas? Too long! It seemed to unfair that the magic, warmth and joy of Christmas was followed by bitter cold and boring January.  

I have to admit that as an adult I've had some years when I breathed a sigh of relief when it was time to put away the Christmas decorations.  It's always nice to lose the clutter and go back to a more predictable schedule.

But this year I am truly sad it is over.  It was a particularly wonderful Christmas. We didn't feel stressed or too busy and, best of all, Brandon was home with us. It was indescribable to be all back together. There is nothing . . . . NOTHING I love more than hanging out with my family.

My favorite place to be during the Christmas season is the room with the lit Christmas tree. I love to sit on the floor next to the tree and cuddle under blankets as we read Christmas books. But the tree always feels a little sad and out-of-place to me after Christmas, with no gifts underneath and no storybooks spread out to read. Sigh. It's a reminder that our little private Porter Christmas cocoon is going to burst open and we will soon have responsibilities and new challenges.

I will cherish the memories of this Christmas. This coming year will bring some very exciting and wonderful new changes to our family (hooray for welcoming a wonderful new daughter-in-law to our family!!).  The structure of our family will expand and change over the years, but I hope that we always feel peace, acceptance, and love in each other's presence.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

No comments: