Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Aubrey - Spring 2013

Still catching up, but getting much closer . . . .


Theater

Last January Aubrey tried out for the play Little Women and was cast as Clarissa. She attended many rehearsals and classes for the next several months, and then the play was performed at the Brunish Theater in Portland on two weekends in mid-May.  She loved the experience of being in the play. She finds a lot of joy being involved in theater and doesn't mind at all the many hours required for practice.

Here are a few pictures from the play. We were never able to get a picture of her in her beautiful costume because they were required to change out of it before they came out to greet family. Take our word for it - she looked beautiful and very grown up.
This was her jewelry.
After the play, with her bestest friend Kate.

And the two men in her life - her brother and dad.  
Grandma and Grandpa Springer stayed in town after Joseph's baptism and Brandon's homecoming so they could see Aubrey perform the next weekend.  They took this picture.

The play ran for two weekends, then there was one weekend off (which is when Dan, Brandon, and I flew back to Ohio and NY for a quick 5 day post-mission trip).  Then, after we returned (and a few days after Bailey's 16th birthday), Aubrey had another musical review performance at a different theater in Portland.  These pics were taken after the performance. 

Birthday shopping
For Aubrey's birthday she really wanted a shopping trip to Staples. Yes, you read that right. She has a thing about cool office supplies. So, Grandma and Grandpa Springer gave her a birthday gift card to Staples and I took her there one day in March so she could ooh and ahh over all the options.  

I love spending time with my daughter. I do not love spending time in office supply stores. But because my daughter loves spending time in office supply stores, I (mostly) patiently looked with her at an infinite supply of binders, accessories for binders, dividers for binders, pens to write in binders, and other assorted office paraphernalia.  Finally Aubrey settled on a cute little binder set complete with coordinating accessories.  Whew - I was very happy to check out of Staples and go somewhere a little more . . . interesting!
Here she is, trying out all the different pens.

Clothes Shopping
We found a new favorite store in the mall. I generally don't like malls. I feel like this "not liking" things is becoming a theme in this blogpost.  I promise I'm not a hater of everything, but I'm really not much of a shopper. Anyway, my teenage girls do like to go clothes shopping at the mall and we found a store called Romy's, where both the girls have found some very nice (and reasonably priced) dresses.
And finally, here is just one of the art projects Aubrey created for one of her school classes. I think this one was for the genetics unit in biology. That's the thing about going to an Arts School - the arts are woven into absolutely every subject! And Aubrey is a very talented artist and is meticulous and (dare we say) a bit of a perfectionist.  This particular project kept her up pretty much all night, even though I implored her to do it "just good enough". As usual, she created an amazing project!
Aubrey is so talented and a wonderful daughter in every way. I am so glad she is exactly the way she is, even if she makes me spend time in Staples.

No comments: