Friday, January 24, 2014

Wrapup of December

Okay, I've got my work cut out for me. The kids remind me frequently that I never blogged about any of their birthdays from the spring/summer of last year. And some other cool stuff from those months. Well, we are only about a month away from "birthday season" beginning again so I better hurry and catch up! Of course, then life is going to get so busy again (wedding preparations) that I'm sure I'll fall behind again. . . .

But first I'm going to finish up a few random things in December.

First, helping at the reception for our friend Zach McDonnell. Bailey helped at the guestbook, but I was so busy in the kitchen that I forgot to get a picture of her.
Next, Brandon and Aubrey demonstrate how to properly eat a Tim Tam Slam, brought to us by our friends from New Zealand. The trick to this traditional cookie is to dip the chocolate covered wafer cookie in hot cocoa and then pop it in your mouth quickly, before it has a chance to explode. Brandon ate similar cookies dipped in hot cocoa on his mission in Ukraine.

Every year we get together with a few families to make tie fleece blankets for the homeless shelters. We also eat yummy soup,  bread, and desserts.  I had to take a picture of the peppermint brownies we made - so delicious!
Attending a baby shower for one of my former young women. Nice faces, girls!
 Brandon and Joseph hanging out together playing video games.
 I've always wanted to take the kids on the Polar Express train, which leaves from Hood River, Oregon (about 1 1/2 hours away). This year we planned ahead and bought tickets for the evening of the last day of school. Our good friends the Kartchners went with us. It was so much fun - the story (and the movie) were re-created: the mugs of hot cocoa (nice thought, but it was stone cold) and ginger cookies, all the kids in their pjs, the conductor who punches a design on each of the special train tickets, the bum who wandered through the trains, the visit from Santa. We also visited "The North Pole," which was a pretty tacky setup of Christmas lights on an old warehouse.  We also enthusiastically sang lots of Christmas carols.  All in all, though, we had a great time and it was a once-in-a-lifetime fun thing to do!  After the train trip we stopped at a nice pizza place in Hood River with the Kartchners.



The conductor punching the tickets. The three boy's tickets spelled "ELF".
Aubrey and Kylie spent much of the ride working on a book of logic puzzles. The magic of the Polar Express is definitely best for ages 10 and under!
Waiting very expectantly for Santa to make his way to our tables. I love the dreamy look in Joseph's eyes.  Joseph removed his hat because he was embarrassed to be wearing a "matching hat."
 Santa was so patient and kind. He took plenty of time to talk to each child and hear their gift request.
 I think Joseph whispered that he really wanted a Nerf gun.  And then Santa gave him a bell like the one in the Polar Express, for all those who truly believe!
 I believe Aubrey requested the soundtrack to Little Mermaid - the Broadway musical.
 Guess what - Santa signs autographs! He signed our copy of The Polar Express. 
 Bailey took good care of little Mason, who was mesmerized by Santa.
 And one final Polar Express selfie!

No comments: