Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Porter Family Theme 2014

Last year we selected a theme for the year and posted it in our kitchen.  This post talked about our theme: "Beyond the barricade is there a world you long to see?" Throughout the year we tried to talk about the types of things that hold us back from trying new things and the ways we can try to overcome our barricades or obstacles.  

I wouldn't say that we completely mastered this concept as a family, but we have made some incremental progress. This year we chose a new theme, somewhat related to the same idea.


"For God hath not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."  
2 Timothy 1:6-7

When we introduced the theme to the kids we talked about how God wants us to be powerful and has tools available to help us be powerful. We will all have struggles and challenges and they will slow us down or impede our progress sometimes.  But these weaknesses can remind us we need to turn to our Heavenly Father and use the gift of the atonement of Jesus Christ to receive the help and strength and power that we need. We talked about "drawing on the power of the atonement" and then Aubrey asked an amazing question.  She said, "I know that phrase, but but what does is actually mean to draw on the powers of the atonement? How do we do that?"

We decided that we will especially study this point this year as a family. We know that God wants us to be powerful and we know that He has power to give us if we draw upon it. But how do we do that? I feel like I know how better now than I did in the past, but I know I have much more to learn. 

Here's to a 2014 filled with power, love, and sound mind!


No comments: