Friday, October 9, 2015

Week-long party with ALL the Porters

In August we were SO lucky to have all 3 of our college kids home for a week between school semesters. We loved being all together!


Some of the things we did:

While Bailey and I were still in San Diego, Dan partied and the rest of the family partied hard without us. On Saturday they went to a delicious and quirky Mac 'n Cheese restaurant in Portland and then to a Lasertag place to play a few rounds.
Bailey was so happy to be reunited with her little buddy.
Mmmmm - Burgerville for lunch now that we were all back together.
We did have to take a few days out of the week to fit in doctor and dentist visits and shopping for clothes. Here Brandon is shoe shopping right after getting his eyes dilated, so he sported these really cool shades!
One of the highlights of the week was taking everyone to Wicked, with a stop at the Laughing Planet before.





Selfies while we waited for the theater to open up. Aubrey had walked across the street with me and Dan because she was too excited to pose for pictures. 
Another highlight of the trip: my amazing kids and Dan decided to celebrate my birthday early, since the college kids would be back at school by then. When I left to Mutual on Wednesday night, they went into overdrive and cleaned and decorated the house PRINCESS PARTY style. I think they had bought out everything princessy at the Dollar Store! Dan said that every girl should have a princess party at some point in her life. While I was gone, Angela also made a beautiful 2-layer cake with homemade frosting . . . all in 1 1/2 hours!
When I walked back in through the laundry room, I stopped and switched out laundry from the washer, all the while singing a song to myself. After a bit, I heard Joseph suppress a giggle and I finally looked over to the entryway and realized that my family (minus Bailey, who was at a party) were standing together in the hallway holding a birthday sign.  They shouted Surprise and we had a good laugh about how clueless I was!  I was so surprised and it was so much fun!  I wore my princess getup and blew out candles on my cake and we posed for pictures.
We sat down to eat our candy and cake at the princess table.
 Dan looks so cute with his princess popcorn container.
But wait, it's not over yet!  The next morning Brandon and Angela made me homemade banana nutella crepes and a healthy and delicious smoothie to continue the birthday celebration.
Dan took the day off work so we could party all day. We drove to the Gorge to do a hike, but the road was blocked so we couldn't get to our hiking destination. We got some great pictures of the Gorge and Columbia River anyway.
 Then we drove to Portland to a vegan restaurant Angela had found online in deference to my culinary sensibilities.
We also stopped in Portland at an Asian supermarket to get some tamarind so Brandon and Angela could make amazing avocado egg rolls for dinner. My daughter in law is a fantastic cook!
Another highlight of the week: attending Aubrey's Seussical play. I'll talk more about the play in another post. What a fun night with our favorite actress!
And we stopped for Yo2Go on the way home to celebrate.  I just noticed that most of my pictures from the week are food-related. I think that says something about the role good food plays in our celebrations!
And then, the next morning we sadly said goodbye to our favorite BYU students (Aubrey was in Portland getting ready for her next performance).
 We miss these amazing young adults!

No comments: