Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Begin Again

In honor of Taylor Swift, I'm titling this post "Begin Again." I'm going to do my best to start blogging again at least somewhat regularly.  I've told myself for months that "once things settle down I will catch up."

Things have finally settled down, as of July. It's summer and we have a blissfully uncomplicated schedule. No school, piano, no theater, no baseball, no drivers ed, no basketball, no tennis, no early morning seminary, whew. We spent a wonderful 7 weeks with Brandon after his mission and, as of last week, successfully set him up in his apartment at BYU.

So, now it's time to catch up on writing about our family and I find myself completely overwhelmed. Where to begin? What to leave out? What to include?

The problems are this. First, if I go back to where I left off and cover things chronologically, there is so much ground to cover that I'm afraid I'll get discouraged and bored and stop trying. Second, if I choose to skip over everything that has happened in the last six months and start today, I will have missed documenting some wonderful events in our family.

I really love reading well-written, insightful, or cleverly quirky blogs, especially ones which don't try to cover every family event and include pictures as proof. But, I can't bring myself to strive for this type of blog myself. That might work if I was also scrapbooking or at least keeping a journal. Sadly, my journal keeping is lackadaisical and scrapbooking nonexistent. So, the blog books I print out are the only tangible evidence of the events of our family, with a few of my own thoughts and observations thrown in. I really don't care if anyone else reads our blog - its purpose is to record all the events that make up the whole of our family life at this point in time.  And I am totally aware that this is not the most exciting reading for others, and that's okay.

This is my compromise and my commitment to get back into blogging. I am going to begin today with today. I'm going to try to add something to our family blog at least 4 times a week (in the summer - I can't commit to that regularity in the school year).

As for today, it was a simply stupendous summer day. This is what we did:
  •  Today Bailey went on her first date (a double date with cousin Mianna and two boys in Utah) while staying with the Sullivans in Sandy, UT.
  • Today Brandon had a job interview for a position behind the scenes on Studio C at BYUTV.
  • Today Aubrey curled her hair pretty in the morning and then spent all day with a friend and friend's mom shopping.
  • Joseph and I attended the Reptile Man show at the library, bought a few groceries, and then hibernated in the AC at home for the rest of the day. Joseph invited two friends to play, and they made elaborate forts, huge messes, and invented exciting games to play in the sprinklers outside.
  • Today I didn't clean anything or do any laundry. I didn't do any dishes or iron any shirts. I didn't even pull the weeds in my front flower beds (tempting fate since the HOA loves to ding us on weeds) or sprinkle slug bait around my hostas and zucchini. Instead, I spent a lazy afternoon reading part of my book and working on the computer while the boys ran circles around me. Tomorrow I will regret doing nothing productive today, but I'm all right with that.
    I love summer!

 As I ease myself back into blogging, I will start to include some of the events I missed recording.  Such as . . . .
  •  Springer Girls Trip April 2012 (It's been so long, but I still have notes on my phone with all the funny moments from this awesome trip to Vegas)
  • Porter Reunion 2012 (I completed this blog post once and then blogger blipped and lost it and I have never had the heart to do it again)
  • Aubrey's re-done room
  • Our countdown chain to Brandon's return
  • Easter 2013
  • Trip to Puerto Vallarta for Spring Break
  • Joseph's cute toothless grin- Spring 2013
  • Aubrey's 13th birthday and fun pedicure/pizza party with friends
  • Joseph's 8th birthday, baptism (both sets of grandparents in attendance), and Cub Scouts
  • The pinewood derby. Oh my.  Wow. I'll have to think about how to make this one a positive post.
  • Joseph's experiences in baseball and basketball this year (here's a teaser: he has decided to be a NBA basketball player. Hopefully he inherits the Springer height)
  • Bailey's tennis, Honor Society, volunteering at Boys and Girls club activities
  • Aubrey's awesome school projects
  • Brandon coming home from Ukraine
  • Aubrey's vocal and theater performances, including Little Women
  • Our trip to Palmyra and Kirtland (Brandon, Dan, and me)
  • Joseph's end of year award ceremonies and parties (including Main Street) and the rainiest Zoo trip EVER.
  • Bailey's annual birthday clothes shopping trip with Mom
  • Bailey's 16th birthday and birthday trip to Cannon Beach with 5 friends (and Mom)
  • Last day of school parties
  • Trip to Utah (the day after the last day of school) with the family (sans Dan for the drive there) and Bailey's friend Nina, caravanning with Brandon's car and stopping along the way in Boise, Rexburg (BYU-I tour), and Shelley, Idaho to see Kara and family
  • Getting Brandon settled into the dumpiest apartment complex in all Provo that houses the most social and fun group of people in Provo 
  • Spending time with Grandma and Grandpa Springer in Utah and seeing their beautiful new mountain home in Heber - June 2013

No comments: