On the drive up we saw this sign. We thought it was funny . . .was there a discount on children for sale at the day care?
Bailey was still in Utah, so we were a two-child family. For the most part, they got along well.
We also saw this car, which was from the 1930s. I thought it was pretty cool.
We stayed in a campground which was packed with people. So packed that people snoring and coughing at night kept me awake.
It was a fun time with family and friends. First we set up our tent. Joseph was a great help.
Joseph had put together an "adventurer's kit" in a black binoculars case with all the essentials he might need on his boating adventure. It was very awesome, and I must say that I love having an 8 year old.
As soon as our camp was set up we headed out onto the water.
Aubrey and Joseph loved riding on the tube. Aubrey is fearless and Joseph is getting that way, too. Dan and I are no longer fearless on the tube, but Dan is much more adventurous in water than me.
Friends: the four girls slept in a tent together.
This was a fail . . . for part of our dinner I thought we could roast some corn on the cob. I knew our kids love corn. However, our plan to cook the corn (wrapped in foil) in the coals was only partly successful. As in, part of the corn cooked, part was raw.
The next morning Dan took off to go waterskiing. He did great!

Soon we all joined the waterskiiers, and we spent the rest of the day on the boat. Aubrey's in the middle below. She always wanted the tube to go faster, faster, faster!

By the afternoon of the second day, I was really quite done with going on the tube. I was perfectly content to ride on the boat and watch everyone else doing their thing in the water. Somehow I got pressured into getting back on the tube one more time. I agreed with a promise that the driver would go slow. The thumbs up sign below is the kids saying they want to go faster. Notice that Dan and I are not giving that symbol.


If you look closely below you will see that the boat was moving faster and I have a thinly disguised look of terror on my face. The rest of my family? They are so bored they are almost falling asleep.
It was a fun day.
Now, I am going to document something, without much elaboration.
These are the things I really like about camping:
- Sitting by the fire and talking until late with family and friends.
- Doing something out of the ordinary with my family.
- Looking at the stars at night.
- Time to just be together, with few distractions.
- Reading a book in the morning, with the fire crackling nearby.
- Making s'mores and cooking hot dogs over the fire.
- Working together to do hard things.
- Singing along to music on the long drives to and from the campground.
- Sleeping on the ground.
- Sharing a bathroom with 200 other people (even though we were very lucky to have a bathroom).
- Cooking over a fire - it's a lot of work.
- Cleaning up after cooking - it's even more work.
- Doing laundry for 4 days after returning from a 2 day camping trip.
- Being together with my family.
- Watching the kids have fun.
- Talking to friends.
- Feeling the sunshine.
- Hanging out on the boat all day long, every day of the trip.
- Being pressured to get in the water repeatedly. Because I really was happy to watch others get in the water.
- Driving home for 3 hours - sticky, smelly, and dirty after 2 days with no shower.
p.s. My next camping adventure will be Girls Camp, in two weeks. This year it is even more "rough" camping, with pit toilets and rationed showers (our ward gets one shower on Thursday - we arrive early Monday.) Yeah - wish me luck.






No comments:
Post a Comment